60 series steel snorkel

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
cruiserluke
Here and there

60 series steel snorkel

Unread post by cruiserluke » June 29th, 2015, 8:19 pm

G'day everyone, thought id make a thread on my snorkel I've made for the big 60. I'd been wanting a snorkel for a while (the imaginary one was getting a bit old) and not wanting to outlay big dollars for a Safari snorkel or risking an ebay snorkel I thought why not I'll have a crack at a steel snorkel plus a custom one will be different to all the others out there. I ordered 2m of 3.5inch mild steel pipe and a 45 and 90 degree bends from an exhaust joint a cheap Nissan/airtech style ram head from the computer. Other bits and bobs I got from town (3.5inch I/d radiator hose and hose clamps)
didn't get as many photos as I would have liked to but here is what I've got.
Plus excuse the terrible body and paint work on the cruiser (must have been rolled in a previous life and the paint has decided to move on)
1. got the air box out and cut it up

2. had to make a intake hole in the air box and cover up the old intake hole

3. Then I welded in a bit of 3.5inch pipe to the box so I could attach the snorkel to it via some radiator hose. (no pic)

more

cruiserluke
Here and there

60 series steel snorkel

Unread post by cruiserluke » June 29th, 2015, 8:26 pm

G'day everyone, thought id make a thread on my snorkel I've made for the big 60. I'd been wanting a snorkel for a while (the imaginary one was getting a bit old) and not wanting to outlay big dollars for a Safari snorkel or risking an ebay snorkel I thought why not I'll have a crack at a steel snorkel plus a custom one will be different to all the others out there. I ordered 2m of 3.5inch mild steel pipe and a 45 and 90 degree bends from an exhaust joint a cheap Nissan/airtech style ram head from the computer. Other bits and bobs I got from town (3.5inch I/d radiator hose and hose clamps)
didn't get as many photos as I would have liked to but here is what I've got
Please excuse the paint and body work on the old cruiser (seems to have been rolled in a previous life)

1. take out the air box and cut the old intake and guard mount off

2. I cut a new hole for the intake and patched up the old guard mount as its where the new intake is.

3. welded in a bit of 3.5inch pipe for the intake where some radiator hose attaches so the snorkel connects.

continued

cruiserluke
Here and there

Re: 60 series steel snorkel

Unread post by cruiserluke » June 29th, 2015, 8:37 pm

4. bronzed the air box to make it water tight where it was hard to weld without distorting the shape

5. made some new mounts for the air box and relocated a couple of relays that were in the way, painted it and mounted it in the engine bay.

6. marked out the hole for the guard and cut the hole with a drill before using the nibbler to get close to the right size then used the die grinder to finish it up.
The hole was elongated and enlarged slightly to cater for the bend and fit the snorkel in close to the body

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » June 29th, 2015, 9:03 pm

7. Made the snorkel with water tight welds at each join

8. Got an a pillar mount bent up then drilled three holes in it and marked those holes on the pillar and nutserted them. Also welded and tapped a guard mount on for extra support (pic is of it only tacked on)

Got the snorkel head for it

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » June 29th, 2015, 9:19 pm

9. Bogged the snorkel to smooth it out, Got it painted, went with Supercheap charcoal hammertone which in my head charcoal is black or very close to it, this was obviously not the case with this paint however when I opened the tin it was a mid grey. I painted it anyway and it was still a mid grey. I was not happy but I put it on the car anyway :mad:
I tried to like it but couldn't.

10. it stayed like that for a few months where I decided to paint a few things on the car with a proper black hammertone (bonnet and wheels) so I took the snorkel off as well. Went to a proper paint shop and got 4 litres of real black hammertone and started on the snorkel (Its got a beige bonnet and those chrome wheels because the other bonnet and wheels are getting prepped for the black paint)
I sanded the snorkel to bare metal again and re bogged it and spayed a few good coats of hammertone on.
To me it looks soooo much better than the grey and the finish this time is better aswell.
Plus i took about 4 inches off the top of the snorkel to bring the ram head down closer to the roofline
As you can see I put a custom decal on it just for fun and ill throw a few better pics up tomorrow

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » July 1st, 2015, 12:06 pm

Here are a few better pics of it done and mounted. So much happier with this black with the effect being better then the grey hammertone and I cut the top of the snorkel down about 4 inches to bring the ram head closer to the roofline which has also cleaned up the look of it.
Overall i'm happy with it, it looks good and makes a really cool induction sound on acceleration which I see as a bonus

danbran
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by danbran » June 9th, 2016, 5:44 pm

that snorkel looks awesome! what did you use to weld it?
daniel

Return to “DIY”