Where to mount CB's in a 80 series

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
Miss 80
Getting to know the place

Where to mount CB's in a 80 series

Unread post by Miss 80 » August 19th, 2014, 10:39 am

I have two remote head and one non remote head CB Radios to mount in the 80 series GXL. I just cant seem to find the right place so i am after ideas please people

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Where to mount CB's in a 80 series

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 19th, 2014, 11:02 am

The main box for the remote head units can tuck away almost anywhere, under the seats, up under the dash, behind the glovebox, etc - anywhere you can find space & reach power & the head unit. The head units for those often fit into the double Din gap in the dash binnacle, or even into the panel at the front/bottom of the dash binnacle, in front of the gear lever/selectors, you just hafta cut the right sized slots or use double sided tape to fix them to it. One might even fit in the space where the ash tray was. Altho if you can't use the double din space above the ash tray for anything, the ash tray space can be a good spot if your radios are small enough!! You don't hafta have an existing hole to put something in, you will often find all sorts of spots with space behind that will work if you (carefully) cut the covering panel - altho you do need to be careful when you need to mount things, there needs to be some support behind, but that can come in the form of a metal strap back to something solid! ;)

Apart from those places, many people mount their CB's on the side of the centre console, or up on top of the dash itself - there is ore than one brand of custom consoles/dash pods made to hold a couple of radio's up there safely & securely - and legally!! The Department of the Interior mob (& I'm sure there are others too) make some 'centre console' replacement units (the armrest/gear selector/handbrake surround that goes between the front bucket seats) that will hold a couple of radios & a bunch of other gear as well.

There are a lot of places to mount this sort of stuff, really only limited by your imagination & consideration for where you & your body/head might end up being forcibly propelled in the event of an accident!! Up high where your head can hit it isn't a great idea IMHO, I've seen too many head injuries from relatively small bumps for me to consider any overhead console might be safe, and they can also be a pain for 'not short' people trying to get in & out of the vehicle, so I wouldn't ever recommend any overhead console. But there's a fair whack of room in the 80 Series for mounting this sort of stuff, all you hafta do is look at where it will work for you!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » August 19th, 2014, 7:16 pm

My UHF is mounted under the dash, right in front of the gearstick. I just bolted it to the plastic

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Miss 80
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Miss 80 » August 22nd, 2014, 9:17 am

Thanks for the replys as for the mounting of them i still havent decided as of yet to put them but will post a pic up once i have

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » August 27th, 2014, 7:35 am

I fitted an overhead consol for a place to mount my uhf and for the much better led lights to the front and rear seats. Its moulded plastic not wood so a slightly softer option.

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » August 27th, 2014, 8:55 am

Console.jpg
this is what i did!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
92 HDJ80 Gturbo safari FMI 2" lift ICON 2.5 piggyback shocks, 3"XFORCE exhaust. GONE
97 HDJ80 40th Anniversary.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » August 27th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Nice work. I reckon my head would hit that though haha!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » August 28th, 2014, 8:16 am

mate im 6 foot 4 my head never gets near it! was just a little wierd with the rear view mirror a bit lower
92 HDJ80 Gturbo safari FMI 2" lift ICON 2.5 piggyback shocks, 3"XFORCE exhaust. GONE
97 HDJ80 40th Anniversary.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

Return to “DIY”