Got any 80ser wagon full width w/screen console ideas?

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
Miss 80
Getting to know the place

Got any 80ser wagon full width w/screen console ideas?

Unread post by Miss 80 » August 17th, 2014, 5:11 pm

im looking at making < making the hubby make me one :lol: > a full roof console to go across the top of the screen in my 80 series as it will be housing three different radios and there isnt enough room in the middle roof mount ones for all of them. Has any one got a template , idea or pics to help me out please

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Got any 80ser wagon full width w/screen console ideas?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 17th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Any ideas, yep, start wearing a hard had all the time you are in the vehicle NOW, so that by the time you get the console up there you'll be used to it!! :eek: Unless you are under about 5'4", in which case it might not be such an issue! :sillywink:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 17th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Peter has got in before me but in a different way.
The front area where the visors go shouldn't be used for anything which you will hit your head on. As mentioned, If a dwarf then you may have clearance in an accident or sudden stop. For normal sized people you will have an instant neurosurgical procedure/lobotomy. Not a good idea.

Even those central, up the middle roof consoles are brain rattlers. With a close contact like that, afterwards you may be able to receive and transmit just by thinking because of the electronic implant.

Miss 80

Unread post by Miss 80 » August 17th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Thank you for your input seems i will have to find how to install the three radios somewhere else in the car they are all remote head so i can mount the heads and the body else where but will have to have a think about it

fergus 80
Here and there

Unread post by fergus 80 » September 3rd, 2014, 2:18 pm

Hey Miss 80, good to see another 80 getting some mods, can u make a roof console that goes where your sub tank gauge is down the centre to the middle light, you can probly get 2 comfortbaly side by side and maybe the 3rd underneath or othe the passenger side? im currentyly doing this with 1 din sized radio and leaving room for another uhf and a HF head unit. Rono consoles could make you something i would assume if yopu wanted something off the shelf. il post up some pics in my build thread when im done
HZJ 80 No turbo and lack of lockers

Miss 80

Unread post by Miss 80 » September 3rd, 2014, 3:27 pm

im loving my 80 series Fergus it was amazing the first time out at Levuka over the weekend the troopy was winched a half dozen times and the 80 only once even with the highway based maxis bravo tyres on it. The main problem i have is running the Motorola UHF as the remote head that is with it is the full size version out of the american sheriffs cars < not mention the base and heat sink to cope for the 100watts output > I am going to get some ideas off Rono consoles and believe that i can get my partner to make one that i wont hit my head on and that the sun visors will sink into the top of it as to not restrict any vision at all

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 3rd, 2014, 4:57 pm

If you get caught with a 100Watt UHF you are fried.
In WA they have recently done spot checks on vehicles with UHF and if it doesn't comply, well, you are toast.

fergus 80
Here and there

Unread post by fergus 80 » September 4th, 2014, 9:17 am

Good Stuff miss 80, have you got a build thread going on the new bus of yours? would be good to see stuff simliar to this console and other home made gear on there If ya keen on that
HZJ 80 No turbo and lack of lockers

Miss 80

Unread post by Miss 80 » September 4th, 2014, 8:12 pm

MyDmax they are very lazy here in QLD infact every one of the local repeaters users here use a minimum of 25watt plus uhfs < all use commercial radios > so i am not too worried about being mobile and i can always flick it back to 1 watt at a flick of a switch... Fergus i will start a build thread over the next few days before i start doing too much to the 80 series and so i can help others with ideas as i am helped by others with ideas

Return to “DIY”