What to use for a DIY water tank? Any ideas for Hot water?

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
Fraser32
Here and there

What to use for a DIY water tank? Any ideas for Hot water?

Unread post by Fraser32 » April 1st, 2014, 8:23 pm

Hey guys looking to make up a water storage tank for my ute i want it pushed up to the back of the tray so it wont be in the way of all my other stuff and use a bilge pump and hose to get access to the water

Im not sure what i should use for a tank was thinking maybe and old esky i have up the back but not sure how water tight the lid is?? Any other ideas for tank? (Cheap please)

Also has anyone experimented with ways to get hot water while out bush other than solar showers?,
2011 Navara D40 - 2inch lift - 265/75/15 muddies - Road safe recocery points

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Re: What to use for a DIY water tank? Any ideas for Hot wate

Unread post by MasterInnovator » April 1st, 2014, 9:08 pm

There are these heat exchanger things you can buy which tap into your engine coolant, by leaving the motor running the the hot coolant heats up water that goes through copper coils to be used for what ever you want ie hot shower, hot water for washing up etc

Fraser32
Here and there

Unread post by Fraser32 » April 1st, 2014, 9:13 pm

Do they work welll? And are they prices also can it meas with your cooling system??

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » April 1st, 2014, 9:19 pm

I personally couldn't tell you but from what I have heard they work quite well, we have one but never got around to installing it, no it shouldn't mess with the cooling system. It is just an empty cylinder which has a copper coil in it. The empty cylinder fills with coolant, but it still allows the coolant to flow. The coolant heats up the copper coil which had the water you are wanting to use running through it, which obviously is heated from the coolant

Fraser32
Here and there

Unread post by Fraser32 » April 1st, 2014, 9:22 pm

Hmmm better check it out were is best to get one do you lnow if they are expensive???

kalla20
Been here a while

Unread post by kalla20 » April 1st, 2014, 9:32 pm

The heat exchangers are quite pricey, from memory of looking at them. In
terms of cheap water storage I use two 15l Jerry's linked together with some fittings on a pump. Jerry cans cost me about 10 bucks from super cheap.
Cheers
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 TD

Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=147181

Fraser32
Here and there

Unread post by Fraser32 » April 1st, 2014, 9:48 pm

Cheers kalla sounds like a reasonable idea to string a few jerrys together

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 1st, 2014, 9:48 pm

While those heat exchanger units aren't really all that expensive for what they are (a fairly complex device that works on a simple principle) they are significantly more expensive than the portable gas hot water systems that are readily available now!! Check out the offerings from Coleman etc, you can usually find them at places like BCF or Camping World, as well as good 4WD accessory shops.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » April 1st, 2014, 10:38 pm

If you want really DIY stuff, and I used to do it this way.....a long long time ago, but it worked really well.

Buy a brand new Jerry can and a roll of flexible copper plumbing tube/pipe.

Wrap the plumbing pipe around and along you exhaust pipe for about 30-50 cm's or so, about mid way seems to work, but mainly somewhere were it wont get trashed on rocks.
Leave enough on the ends, say about 20 cm's.
Next, take your brand new jerry can to the local welder, and get him to braze 3 short pieces of the same copper pipe into the jerry can.......2 at the top (one of the top ones will be a breather), and the other at the bottom.
Now go and buy some standard car heater hose and connect your Jerry to your bush heat exchanger...... One end to the top, the other to the bottom doesn't really matter which way around and the third top one to the breather, and clamp the hoses with good quality hose clamps.

Route the breather out the bottom toward the ground so any hot water overflow is vented to the ground.

Now fill the jerry with water and go for a drive.......the setup will thermo syphon , heating the water up.

you can then mix this with cold water in a bucket and have a shower.

Be careful though.....the water can get quiet hot !

I would always keep water in the system, but if your copper pipe tails on the heat exchanger coil are reasonably long, the rubber tube should be fine even when its empty.......just keep an eye on it

This whole setup need to be on the outside of the vehicle....You def don't want hot water traveling inside the cabin with you

Fraser32
Here and there

Unread post by Fraser32 » April 2nd, 2014, 9:17 am

Hey harb that sounds like an alright idea anyone else tried and proven this method??

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » April 2nd, 2014, 11:06 am

its just simple thermo syphoning...... not the most efficient way of doing it, but it works good enough to have a nice warm shower at the end of the day :)

Fraser32
Here and there

Unread post by Fraser32 » April 2nd, 2014, 11:35 am

Do you need any pressure relief on anything to avoid pressure buildup??

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » April 2nd, 2014, 3:36 pm

Thats what the 3rd tube is for.....its an overflow/vent

Fraser32
Here and there

Unread post by Fraser32 » April 2nd, 2014, 9:08 pm

Ahhhh yes sorry i understand now!

rmoore
Been here a while

Unread post by rmoore » April 5th, 2014, 8:44 am

Use the KISS principle. KISS is way cheaper way, also.

Water jerry cans limit the issue of what happens if the storage unit leaks, for whatever reason.

They also are far more versatile than a mounted storage unit. If you had 1 x 20 l water jerry, you could have 2 x 10 l water jerries as supplementary containers. These can be lifted and moved about by anyone, but not so for everyone with a 20 L. Why move them ?- well, take the water simply and easily to where it's needed - by the fire, to the stove top outside, easy to refill, etc.

KISS also tells us gravity will get the water out, so no need for pumps, wiring, electrical power demands etc. And saves $'s.

Hot water? Presumably you will have a device for generating heat. I use a fire, others use stoves etc. Anyway, place a billy on the heat source, warm it up & shandy it with cold if a shower/tub/wash is wanted. You may be surprised at how far a 3L billy will go. You certainly don't need very hot water for a wash, just for dishes - maybe - and for cooking.

Spend the $ 200-800 you have saved on fuel or booze! :D

Have fun
RM
Mazda BT50 DualCab XT auto, new in April 2012. ARB bar, side rails, steps, suspension. Redarc trailer brakes. Anti-spinifex plate. Lightforce HID's. Extra 5 micron fuel filter. Custom Al canopy on ute. Designed as a touring rig.

Return to “DIY”