Custom built dual cab steel tray

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
Rip it up
Here and there

Custom built dual cab steel tray

Unread post by Rip it up » July 9th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I had a small amount of panel damage on my wildtrak during my last outing. Broken taillight. A caved in dint that won't pop out with magnets or suction.

So instead of going down the insurance option I want to build a steel tray. I do have a TJM canopy on the back that did not get damaged. This will be sold separately.

I have searched the forums for a ranger with a custom steel tray but did not find any. I did find a few hilux dual cabs with a style I like.
image.jpg
Has anybody got some helpful hints to get me started designing and building my new tray.
Materials to use. Dimensions. Options to include.

My other modification I want look into is a raised towbar. I need more ground clearance. Do I need an engineer to design the new towbar? Or Is there an off the shelf option? Basically I want it to be level with the chassis rails.

Thanks Damo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rip it up on June 14th, 2015, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Ford Ranger Wildtrak.
Built not bought.

fred99999au
Avid Poster

Re: Any advice/help designing Custom built dual cab steel tr

Unread post by fred99999au » July 11th, 2013, 8:36 am

search for Tazzie. he had a PJ with a steel tray like what you are looking at. Twas in a car yard down the road for a while.

Rip it up
Here and there

Unread post by Rip it up » July 15th, 2013, 5:08 pm

So like my searching shows no modified trays getting around on a ranger. Hmm. Time for autocad designs I think.

Basically want it level with towbar tongue. Flat checker plate at a height suitable to original wheel arches.
Use the space under tray to put water tank, recovery gear tray, wedge shaped storage in the rears. And a lockable marine style fuel cap flush on the checker plate.

Watch this space for designs.
Built not bought.

fred99999au
Avid Poster

Unread post by fred99999au » July 17th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Rip it up
Here and there

Unread post by Rip it up » August 3rd, 2014, 12:34 am

So I thought it would be about time to progress my designs further for the next project.

I have been looking at what features I need to incorporate with my tray build.

A few ideas.
Used as a camping rig. Basically carts fridge, space box, chainsaw, canvas tent and poles, self inflating mattress, chairs, tables etc.
Occasionally takes two med/large dogs up the beach.
Tow various boats regularly. It's main use.

I willbe keeping the size to a minimum as I don't want a huge rear overhang or side vision disrupted (for towing). So the edges will stop at the body junction. Like the tub doe already. Guards will be flared out to suit the tyre overhang. Rear length will stop at the tow ball socket. Same as the tub step.

Drop sides won't be needed as all my equipment gets tied down when travelling.

A removable dog crate/lockable area will be made to match the head board profile. This will stay on most of the time. Twin door with a portion on the drivers side to take the fridge dimensions.

Rear corner storage boxes tapered to the tail. Simple recovery storage area. Probably be built from aluminium. Lockable.

Extra fuel is a big issue. 2 options will be looked at. A head board vertical tank. 100mm wide and built as the head board. Permanent instalment. Second option is a poly tank bracketed to sit above the original tank. Aiming for 70L extra.

I'm leaning towards a hardwood deck on the tray. Mainly for the visual effect. But also I hate the rust factor of steel checkerplate. And the tinny noise factor of aluminium.

So I have done a little photoshop effect of what I'm looking at minus the dog crate.
image.jpg
Now to design it to scale and order materials.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Built not bought.

Ranger Stretch
Been here a while

Unread post by Ranger Stretch » August 4th, 2014, 7:37 am

Hi Ripit.

Almost finished mine. Have a look at my thread (in my signature below). Mines full size 6x6ft. If ya need tips pm me.

Cheers
Mods in order of completion.
Custom Rear Carry Bar, Duel Battery System, Double Din GPS Headunit, Bullbar, 100w HID Driving Lights, 265/70/16AT's and Sunnies, Hitch Receiver in Bullbar for Winch, 13000lb Winch, Anderson Plugs Front and Rear for Winch. My tray build thread viewtopic.php?f=118&t=151073

Rip it up
Here and there

Unread post by Rip it up » June 11th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Hey guys. It may have taken a year it I have finally started work on building my tray.

I spent some time measuring and designing a tray that incorporated everything I wanted.

No side boards.
No side or rear overhang.
Tie down rails up on top.
Toolbox in the floor for recovery gear. Lockable
AUX fuel tank under the front section.
Stupid strong. Steel construction. Built by myself.
image.jpg
First task was to remove the tub.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Do with that out of the way the construction started.
The materials used are:
100 x 50 x 3mm RHS.
40 x 40 x 3mm SHS.
40nb standard weight pipe.
25nb 316 stainless pipe. Tie down.

The external dimension of the frame are 1690mm wide to finish neat on the cab of the ute.
And 1700mm long to finish flush with the towbar receiver tube.
I've got 250mm height from tray floor to the chassis rail. To allow room for the tank and toolbox to miss the spare tyre winch area.
Built not bought.

Rip it up
Here and there

Unread post by Rip it up » June 11th, 2015, 7:42 pm

So the basic frame was easy enough. Having dimensions already calculated by auto cad made the cutting list easy to work out.
image.jpg
image.jpg
The next mission task sounded easy enough on paper but turned out to be a massive job. But the effect and protection will be worth it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
These will get a plate mounted to protect from flying stones off the Tyres.

I turned my attention to the headboard shape after the lights were organized. This headboard needed to hug tightly to the cab. I also need to leave access to my roof rack mounted solar panel.
image.jpg

112 degrees was the magic angle for needing it in the future. Or 68 degrees across the faces of the cutdown 90degree elbows.
With a few shallow bends on the pipe it now tucks in nice and tight.

And that's were I am at the moment. 4 days part time work so far. Still lots to go.
Built not bought.

Rip it up
Here and there

Unread post by Rip it up » June 11th, 2015, 7:43 pm

image.jpg
Built not bought.

Rip it up
Here and there

Re: Custom built dual cab steel tray

Unread post by Rip it up » June 22nd, 2015, 8:22 pm

Just another photo update.

General fabrication work still ongoing.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mudguards mock up positioning.
image.jpg
Head board detail.
image.jpg
Built not bought.

smikED
Here and there

Unread post by smikED » June 23rd, 2015, 7:36 am

Love it! Keep the updates coming.
Can't say I've seen many of these trucks with a shortened steel tray.
DAILY: 2008 PJ XL 4x4, 15x8 -26 sunnies, 31x10.5 Hankook MT, Diff breathers, Tub liner, Aftermarket intercooler, Twin light bars
WEEKEND: 1994 ED Falcon, Full options, V8, leather, gilmer
NEVER ENDING: 1966 Chev Impala, Gen3, powerglide

Rip it up
Here and there

Unread post by Rip it up » June 23rd, 2015, 3:52 pm

Cheers smiked.

I wouldn't call it that short at 1700. Finishes flush with the towbar tongue. Just looks short I guess. Hate smashing hands and trailers when hooking them up. And I'm conscious about weight over the rear axle.

Little job completed this morning.
Stone guard for the rear tail light wiring.
[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
Built not bought.

Rip it up
Here and there

Unread post by Rip it up » July 7th, 2015, 11:28 pm

So a much needed update is required.

Currently the tray is in the final stages for construction. Finishing off the little details before welding out the floor sheet.

Tie down rails were TIG welded into place.

Stainless toolbox fully seam welded and a water channel added to the opening.
image.jpg
Headboard panel added and cross tube. Still needs the diagonal supporting tubes added.
image.jpg
Drivers mudguard fitted, requires a few strategic brackets to give the guard rigidity and cut away the points which will fowl on the body mounts.
image.jpg
About 12hrs of fabrications required to finish off the tray.
Consisting of:
Passenger mudguard
Toolbox lid and hinges. Lock point etc.
head board piping.
Seam weld the checkerplate.
Drill and tap the stone guard bolts.
Rubber mudflaps.
Breather bracket behind the head board plate.

Thanks for looking.

Damo.
Built not bought.

Ian Reichelt
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Ian Reichelt » June 27th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Just wondering how much it cost to build the tray? because i'm looking into building a tray similar this for my 08 PJ Ranger.

Return to “DIY”