diy fridge slide

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Re: diy fridge slide

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 11th, 2013, 9:49 pm

I've thought about the cable chain before, but the first time I've seen it used on a fridge slide. Top work.

I mounted my fridge inside a drawer; there is no reason why you can't make the bottom of a drawer out of ply and mount some decent slides on the side

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

solidute
Avid Poster

Unread post by solidute » April 14th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Has anyone else made this lately?

90% finished mine but its not going as well as I thought and a bit bummed out about that as we're relying on it to be operational for our trip in 2 weeks. Ive put in a lot of time on this and to get this close and not be too happy with it just sucks

My issues are:
1: as soon as i springed (not a word but...) the catch at the front the slide really binds up. Unsure what to do about that

2: retaining the spring to the base frame. Have used washers and a screw to clamp it down but its too bulky and impacts on the spring possibly affecting problem 1. How else would I hold the spring in place?

3: rubber stopper at the back to cushion closing the slide but to put a little pressure on the latch at the front to help keep it held shut

Ideas and suggestions very welcome

Will take photos and add shortly

Cheers
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy"
-Guillaume Apollinaire

solidute
Avid Poster

Unread post by solidute » April 14th, 2017, 2:58 pm

_copie-0_20170414_135024.jpg
how spring is attached, ignore the length of the screw havent trimmed it down

_copie-0_20170414_135033.jpg
current rubber stopper (red bit) but not at all happy with it. thinking ill need to bolt it on or find a better option
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Guillaume Apollinaire

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 14th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Looks & sounds like it's working OK, good stuff! :D

I've seen quite a few stoppers like that only with a heavier bolt - so yours should be good if you do just change to a bolt! :thumb:

I take it the slide isn't binding up anymore?? Or if it is, it's no longer a problem?? If it is still an issue, silicone spray or dry lube might help.... the greasier stuff tends to collect dust & turn into grinding paste!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

solidute
Avid Poster

Unread post by solidute » April 14th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Stopper was just some offcut soft rubber stuff from work held in with 2 small screws but was holding up enough for testing. Will definitely require a better option. The rubber stuff is hard to cut and shape and will require some sort of bolt to hold it in or i need to find a ready made option. The screwed in springs were what was binding it up. Once i removed the screws and washers i found that all i needed was something to stop the spring from sliding forward. So i put the screw in by itself and ground it flat then welded it in place and it works a treat. Dry lube sounds like a plan to help out. Its not as smooth as it could be because I got black steel opposed to regular mild steel and the surface is quite rough.

All i need now is to add some extra cross braces to use as mounting points
-Guillaume Apollinaire

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 14th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Don'tcha just love it when a plan comes together! :thumb: Sounds like you've got it pretty well sorted!

You might be able to use a solid rubber door stop as a ready-made stopper - they are solid rubber about 1-1/2" in dia & 1-1/2 to 2" tall, got a bolt hole thru the middle for fixing, & usually only cost a few $$ from your local Hardware store or Discount outlet. Worth a look, anyway! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “DIY”