DIY / Home Made Roller Bearing Drawer setups

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
Dirtydog16
Been here a while

DIY / Home Made Roller Bearing Drawer setups

Unread post by Dirtydog16 » November 8th, 2011, 2:01 pm

G'Day all,

I know that there are a few threads regarding DIY / Home Made rear drawer set ups but I am interested in a few specific details that I would like to try and gain some more thoughts / knowledge and info on.

I plan to rebuild a better version of my current drawers made previously and plan to use formply and a DIY roller bearing setup.

For the Roller Bearing setup I plan on getting some rectangular tubing and bolting it to the sides of the drawers as my slides with the bearings being mounted on bolts to the drawer housing.

I have read a few posts on the net stating that people put a bearing on a vertical bolt to the housing (Sides) of their drawers with the slide bar being mounted on the drawer itself. (Which seems to be the popular design from the commercially manufactured products).

I understand that there is a pair of bearings at the front of the housing for each drawer to stop the drawer tilting when extended and that there is another bearing top and bottom at the rear of the housing to support the weight and also to stop upwards movement when closed and some with a bearing mounted horizontally to stop sideways movement (Rattle / noise).

My questions cover the following:

• Do the made / bought sets use washers the same size as the inner bearing race to space the bearing away from the drawer housing to stop the entire bearing rubbing on the housing material?
• What suggestions or common solutions are out there to stop the drawer sliding all the way out?
• What suggestions or common solutions are out there to stop the drawer sliding all the way in and taking the dynamic (moving?) weight all on the face plate or rear wall of the housing?
o I am also interested in any soft close type of set ups where the drawer would not come to a sudden halt when opened or closed say when parked up or down on a hill.

For example it is all good having a block of wood along the side of the drawer for the drawer to hit against to stop it coming out but what about if it is loaded with a 100kg and comes out very quickly?
• For those who have use cup head bolts to mount slide rails to wooden drawers what have you used to stop your stuff rubbing on the raised head of the bolt? (Even covered with carpet the bolt head would be raised) Or has anyone used flat countersunk bolts to minimise this?
• What mechanisms are there to keep a drawer open part or all of the way when needed. (I thought about a hole drilled into the side of the drawer slide with a slide bolt to slide into it but can only really see that I could mount it on the drawer face sideways on the next drawer but I think that it would look sort of crap and I may need that drawer open at the same time).

I know this is a fair bit but any thoughts would be appreciated. I have my own thoughts and ideas but am looking to improve or maybe simplify them if I can and I know there are a lot of switched on people out there who have thought about these things before and seen what others have done.

Thanks in advance!

r2d2 sander
Been here a while

Re: DIY / Home Made Roller Bearing Drawer setups

Unread post by r2d2 sander » November 8th, 2011, 8:13 pm

My questions cover the following:

• Do the made / bought sets use washers the same size as the inner bearing race to space the bearing away from the drawer housing to stop the entire bearing rubbing on the housing material?

I used washers with a diameter between the inner and the outer bearing race. So the inner one is locked the outer can freely rotate
• What suggestions or common solutions are out there to stop the drawer sliding all the way out?
I deliberately didn't put that in. I love the ease to pull the entire drawer out. I don't see any risk in not putting this in place.
• What suggestions or common solutions are out there to stop the drawer sliding all the way in and taking the dynamic (moving?) weight all on the face plate or rear wall of the housing?
carpet on the back of the drawer, resting on carpet on the back panel of the drawer housing.
o I am also interested in any soft close type of set ups where the drawer would not come to a sudden halt when opened or closed say when parked up or down on a hill.
don't see the need for this

For example it is all good having a block of wood along the side of the drawer for the drawer to hit against to stop it coming out but what about if it is loaded with a 100kg and comes out very quickly?
• For those who have use cup head bolts to mount slide rails to wooden drawers what have you used to stop your stuff rubbing on the raised head of the bolt? (Even covered with carpet the bolt head would be raised) Or has anyone used flat countersunk bolts to minimise this?

Counter sunk
• What mechanisms are there to keep a drawer open part or all of the way when needed. (I thought about a hole drilled into the side of the drawer slide with a slide bolt to slide into it but can only really see that I could mount it on the drawer face sideways on the next drawer but I think that it would look sort of crap and I may need that drawer open at the same time).
park on relative flat terrain

Cheers

Dirtydog16
Been here a while

Unread post by Dirtydog16 » November 9th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Hi R2D2 sander,

Thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated.

I had the same idea with the washers but have been a little bit undecided if I should have really small ones just to lock the inner bearing race to the olt or to have bigger ones that cover the bearings as well up until just below the out bearing race to try and stop extra dust and stuff getting to the bearings but thought that this may also allow that stuff to get stuck there.

What type of bearings did you use? Did you use standard skateboard bearings or did you buy an alternator type that is apparently more properly dust sealed from what I have heard?

What about when you have to park on a hill for a recovery as there is no sort of flat areas to park. Aren't you worried that your drawer will slide all the way out on you?

(Just out of interest, not to be argumentative).

Cheers,

Dirtydog16
Been here a while

Unread post by Dirtydog16 » November 9th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Hi again R2D2 sander,

I just realised that I had seen your drawer setup and asked you about how you stopped the drawers sliding out in your thread.

Just relooking at your thread, I do think that yours looks pretty good and something to be proud of.

Just also wondering why you put the runners on the housing and the bearings on the drawers and why you chose to use so many bearings per drawer?

Cheers again!

r2d2 sander
Been here a while

Unread post by r2d2 sander » November 11th, 2011, 4:46 pm

No worries mate,

Well, If I'm on a hill and need to grab something from the drawer, I open the drawer and grab whatever I need. And then close it again :D I know it's not really rocket science, but I don't see a reason why I need to leave my drawer in an open position on an angle. The benefit is that I can just grab the drawers out and put them in the tent without any restrictions.

I have used roller skate bearings. If they work on a skate board for months in a row (picking up more dust and fine sand than in my drawer setup) than a couple of years in the back of my car can't be an issue. I'm sure they are better bearings, but not worth the investment I think.

I made some basic calculations in regards to wait rating on the bolts (not the bearings, they can handle it easily) and than especially the angle of the cup bolts, pressing in the wood. I don't want them to bend / press deeper in the wood and don't line up properly anymore. The more bearings, the more the load is spread. Of course when the drawer is fully extended there are less bearings carrying it. I think that major damage occurs with a heavy load, while doing some heavy 'bouncy' 4WD-ing. And that's when the drawer is resting on the maximum number of bearings.

I put the runners on the housing, because they are 'static'. They will never require maintenance but the bearings might. And they come out easily when you remove the drawer. I could not thing about any advantages of doing it other way around but noticed that black widow e.g. has the bearings on the inside. Maybe it looks better?

Cheers

Alex

Dirtydog16
Been here a while

Unread post by Dirtydog16 » November 12th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Yeah I thought the same thing with the rollerskate bearings being close to the ground all the time and getting dust and grit in them and thought that they would see more dust then the rear inside of my car. I was quoted $6 per bearing for alternator bearings and while I am sure they are probably able to handle a bit of a punishing environment, the cost would start adding up pretty quickly for me.

It is an interesting point that you thought of the bolts and not the bearings for your spread of weight. I had initially started working things out on the weight per bearing but I did also wonder if the bolt might start elongating its mounting hole over time allowing the whole drawer to start moving more and more and eventually getting flogged out.

Something extra to think about I guess.

Yeah, I am not sure why the bearings / runners are the other way around on the bought sets apart from maybe the sides of the drawer housing may be able to be strengthened or reinforced in an easier way to ensure the bearings run vertical. Maybe their drawers twist and flex a little making it harder to slide? Just a guess.

I would have thought with all the views of this thread that there would be more people commenting or giving their thoughts and opinions.

Cheers,

Dirtydog16
Been here a while

Unread post by Dirtydog16 » November 18th, 2011, 12:44 pm

There seems to be a few people looking at this thread so if anyone wants to post pictures of their drawers as a drawer specific thread I am sure the others looking around would appreciate it.

That and I have not gotten around to starting my drawers yet to post my own pics :o

Thomo-lux03
Here and there

Unread post by Thomo-lux03 » June 6th, 2012, 12:02 pm

its a bit late but have you finished yet, otherwise a place like CBC bearings has roller bearings for $2 each

r2d2 sander
Been here a while

Unread post by r2d2 sander » June 6th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Thanks Tom,

Yes I finished the set-up about a year ago, but do appreciate your suggestion! Ended up buying skate boards bearings, and they work fine. If I remember correct, 60 cent a piece,

Cheers

Alex

Thomo-lux03
Here and there

Unread post by Thomo-lux03 » June 8th, 2012, 1:33 pm

60 cents hell yeah where bouts ya get them from

r2d2 sander
Been here a while

Unread post by r2d2 sander » June 8th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Ebay!

countryferal
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by countryferal » July 13th, 2016, 5:35 am

G'day, just wondering how you went with your drawers and if you have any pictures of your build?

I'm jujst looking into building my own set and interested how you went with the where you put your bearings..

Return to “DIY”