DIY Sand flag

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
Timmo
Need to get out more

Re: DIY Sand flag

Unread post by Timmo » April 14th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Wombatmobile wrote:isn't 27Mhz still used for marine radios?

wombat radio

Yeah it is,aswell as VHF.
Cheers,

Nathan

VK1
Been here a while

Unread post by VK1 » April 14th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Made one using an old CB aerial. Bolted a little right angle bracket onto one of my Rhino racks and when I use it I just bolt it on. Cut the flag from an old orange safety vest & cable tied it to the aerial.
Good on you for wanting to make one. Fair enough on flat sand/beaches you don't really need it but I think if you're driving in the dunes on places like Stockton they should be mandatory. Those crosses you see aren't there for nothing. Not to mention the tools that fly blind over dunes.

Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Unread post by Roadwarrior » April 17th, 2011, 12:16 am

Curtain rod with a bicycle flag on it,gaffa taped to bull bar. Ridgid and yet flexible enough to take the corrogations. Another bloke had an old arial mounted on the roof rack but it ended up snapping off.

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » April 17th, 2011, 11:47 am

I made one with a piece of orange electrical conduit I had laying around and an old flag I had used for tieing to the end of a long load. I drilled some holes in the top and attached the flag with cable ties and cut the conduit just long enough to fit across the tub on my dual cab ute. Then I cut a piece of white poly pipe 400mm long, glued an elbow on the bottom of it (so it didn't fill up with water & stop the conduit sliding rite through) and cable tied it to an upright behind the cab.

It was a simple opperation and easy to just slide the flag in and out as I wanted.

Russ

GRIMACEGQ
Been here a while

Unread post by GRIMACEGQ » April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm

im also making one this week for out camping trip thru the dunes this weekend.

how long do you guys make the sand flags roughly? not sure how big to make mine, i have a length of 3m elec condut i can cut down just not sure on how high off my bull bar to go haha

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » April 18th, 2011, 9:31 pm

I cut mine as long as Could but short enough to fit across the tub of dual cab. I think it was about 2m long ish from memory. If it will flex and not kink at 3m and your happy with that length then leave it that long.

I think mine ended up about 1.4m above the cab.

Russ

Chaz
Here and there

Unread post by Chaz » May 17th, 2011, 6:13 pm

$4 surf rod (two piece) with a broken tip from Vinnies. Left the top two runners on and cut the rest off. Cut up a Hi-Viz vest found on the road and got the missus to run a seam around the edge to stop fraying. Tie the flag to the runners and tape the rod to the bar at the front of the ute tub.

Chaz

Vic Heysen
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Vic Heysen » April 14th, 2015, 6:32 pm

I used 4 tent poles. The ones with the elastic through the center. Put on an orange safety flag nylon from Bunnings. When not in use just folds down to one length high with an elastic band to hold it all together. Bolted it onto the roof rack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » April 17th, 2015, 4:53 pm

cheap 2 piece Surf rod, with a piece of an old high vis vest tied to the top.

it folds up into no space at all, and I stick it into my rod holder on the bull bar.

ant61
Getting to know the place

Unread post by ant61 » May 29th, 2015, 12:24 am

Got 3.5m discontinued white boat aerial from bcf 4o dollar , white flex joint 12 bucks thats scewed into plate on bullbar, try a flag from bicycle shop 15bucks, 2x cable ties to top of bullbar.

defender93
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by defender93 » November 19th, 2015, 5:53 am

Hi,
I've made from using fibreglass dome tent poles, they fold up neatly to the length of one pole and more likely to have a spot in 4wd for storage and reduce the clutter. As for mounting l have a aluminium tube that the flag sit in that's attached to the bull-bar. It has never jump out.

Return to “DIY”