Storage drawers

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
jh26
Here and there

Storage drawers

Unread post by jh26 » December 12th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Im about to make some storage drawers for the back of the 100 series to store the recovery gear tools spares etc. It will be a fridge slide on one side for the waeco 110 with a box over it so I can store on top of it and two drawers on the other side for all the gear.

Just wondering what material other people have used, obviously it needs to be strong enouph without being to heavy.

Any recommendations appreciated.

HEM19X
Been here a while

Re: Storage drawers

Unread post by HEM19X » December 12th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Mate,

I've made a couple of these, I find that 12-15mm ply is the best - only because I'm not handy with steel/Aliminimum. Also easy to cover with carpet.

The other things I would recommend, quality slides/drawer runners and flat black paint [it hides a lot of little mistakes], take your time working out power cables and make sure the fridge enclosue has plenty of breathing holes etc.

Have fun.

Hem

ggreenie
Been here a while

Unread post by ggreenie » December 22nd, 2010, 3:50 pm

3mm ally is strong and lightweight. And there are plenty of sheet metal fab places around if like me you dont have the experience or knowledge to work with it.

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » December 26th, 2010, 9:02 pm

ply is probably the best option because that alloy sheet is really expensive
1988 FJ62 LIFTED LOCKED AND BARRED UP :) and SO SICK

VooDoo

Unread post by VooDoo » December 26th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Have a look here

http://www.oz8.org/gallery/Draws

1" Ali square tube, cliplock joiners from bunnings, some marine ply. Add a spare battery and distribution plate from ABR sidewinder and soem catches and your done.

BTW, a CF110 is too big for the back of a car IMO. MY CF80 i cant open the lid enough. Dont use a slide if you have a big fridge, use the one that allows the fridge to fold down onto the tailgate.

Amy G
Been here a while

Unread post by Amy G » December 28th, 2010, 1:12 pm

We used 7mm, 9mm and 12mm ply for mine, and covered them with marine carpet. We bought heavy duty fridge slide & drawer runners. They are nice and light (can be removed from car) and fit everything beautifully. There are lots of pics in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=91820&view=next

bluepig
Getting to know the place

Unread post by bluepig » March 5th, 2011, 1:14 pm

http://www.oz8.org/gallery/Draws

1" Ali square tube, cliplock joiners from bunnings, some marine ply. Add a spare battery and distribution plate from ABR sidewinder and soem catches and your done.

hey Voodoo draws look great did you make the actual draws out ply or did you use the alloy and spacers as well :)

fj45toothy
Been here a while

Unread post by fj45toothy » March 5th, 2011, 10:48 pm

Looking at making some draws up fro my truck soon the plan is to get some strong and good size plastic boxes with lids make up a steel frame that the boxes sit into the steel frame attach to the draw sliders all this under a false floor with some carpeted wood for the front of the draws.

This way when I came back from a trip all I have to do is pull the boxes out put them on a trolley and wheel them to the shed and stack them on the shelfs ready for next time take the cooking and food boxes inside depending if any cleaning needed or restocking, should even work good I want to pull the food or kitchen boxes out at camp for some reason.

Toothy.

phippsy77
Been here a while

Unread post by phippsy77 » March 7th, 2011, 11:58 am

I made a single drawer for my 80 out of the 1" Capral Qubelok. I used old truck signs for the sides and front panel. One of my supplies folded/welded up the drawer out of 0.9mm gal sheet and I used 19mm ply leftover from a job at work. The qubelok is plenty strong enough once the sides and top are fitted.
The runners are from ebay and the latch and spring pin are from our spare parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Danny & Helen
Here and there

Unread post by Danny & Helen » March 11th, 2011, 8:09 am

Hi jh26
I know it is a Patrol but I made some draws to suit a weaco 110 that may be a similar design to what your describing.

I made them using 12mm ply for the main structural area's and some 7mm ply for the back of the main unit and to divide some draws etc.

I used some good bearing runners rated at 100kg's that I bought from a local ebayer for around $90 each.

Here are some pictures, I hope it helps.

Barneymutt
Here and there

Unread post by Barneymutt » March 31st, 2011, 4:27 pm

Hey Danny,
That's a top idea on the bottom draw having another slide out the side.
I think I'll incorporate that into my next draw system. :thumb:

Danny & Helen
Here and there

Unread post by Danny & Helen » April 1st, 2011, 10:19 am

Barneymutt wrote:Hey Danny,
That's a top idea on the bottom draw having another slide out the side.
I think I'll incorporate that into my next draw system. :thumb:
Thanks mate, it is really handy having a draw and the slide out bench is great for sitting things from the fridge on it.

blkcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by blkcruiser » April 2nd, 2011, 10:30 pm

here is mine i built a while back

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=88448

2-Dmax
Here and there

Unread post by 2-Dmax » May 4th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Danny & Helen wrote:Hi jh26
I know it is a Patrol but I made some draws to suit a weaco 110 that may be a similar design to what your describing.

I made them using 12mm ply for the main structural area's and some 7mm ply for the back of the main unit and to divide some draws etc.

I used some good bearing runners rated at 100kg's that I bought from a local ebayer for around $90 each.

Here are some pictures, I hope it helps.

wow that an awesome job mate

Trav

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » July 9th, 2011, 11:22 am

Yes I agree on the 12mm ply. The two main draws aren't on sliders because I wanted maximum space and wanted to get to the very rear of the draw. The draws have left over upholstery carpet glued to the bottoms and they sit directly on a thick piece of perspex buffed up with Mr Sheen..lol, seriously. Works a treat. I use the same principal on my fridge. A rope made to the right length stops it from coming all the way out and lets it tilt to the perfect angle. Compressor is mounted to the rear of the fridge and is hard wired with and anderson plug for removal if needed. The switch is at the front with a relay. Hose is permanently conected and is stored under the rear right seat. the camping chest on top of the floor where the fridge resides screws on to the floor and the floor has for bolts that employ the rear seat mountings. The floor is two separate pieces that are hinged in the middle to make it easier to install and remove. Takes me 30 min to pull the hole lot out if I want the 7 seater configuration and the same time to install. Any questions I'm glad to help.... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “DIY”