Tilting drawer slides

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
cbd
Been here a while

Tilting drawer slides

Unread post by cbd » February 17th, 2019, 3:53 pm

G’day
After the drawers I thought I’d complete a set of drawers slides that tilted down.
Again they are out of wood like the drawers light and strong.
Pic 1 First is simple box that will be attached to the drawer top.
Pic 2 a secound box that is hindged on the front Fridge can slide toward on drawer slides
Pic3 the last box holds the fridge and slides toward so you can see inside without a stepladder

Sorry looks like I can no longer attach pics

cbd
Been here a while

Re: Tilting drawer slides

Unread post by cbd » June 13th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Gday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbd
Been here a while

Unread post by cbd » June 13th, 2019, 6:02 pm

And again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbd
Been here a while

Unread post by cbd » June 13th, 2019, 6:12 pm

G’day
Pics show the finished results.
The bungy cords have carabina type clips on the ends rather than metal hooks... less danger to the eyes that way as they don’t give way when the tensions off. They make pushing the fridge back and up easy as.

cbd
Been here a while

Unread post by cbd » June 13th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Gday

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 14th, 2019, 10:39 am

That's looking pretty swish, cbd! Well executed & quite handy (especially if your Missus is a tad 'vertically challenged'.... ) :thumb:

So - How does it handle the rough stuff?? Any squeaks or rattles that are obtrusive enough to drive you nuts after a thousand kms of corrugations? And have you had any problems with any gear packed alongside the fridge dropping in & under the tray when you slide the fridge out & it's tilted, leaving all that vacant space behind/under everything?? My '2nd generation home made tilting fridge slide' (that was a fairly similar design to yours only done in square metal tubing as a skeleton - so I guess only a liddle bit similar, sorta, maybe.... :p ) suffers from the 'gear dropped into the gap' issue when you slide the fridge out after some rough stuff or heaps of corrugations; & whenever that happens, said gear is then hidden behind & below everything so that it's bloody difficult to get it all back out in order to slide the fridge back in!! Of course, it seems that this most often occurs when I'm in a hurry & have other people waiting on me! :eek:

So while I'm pretty impressed with the cabinet work & the concept/design of yours, I just wonder a bit if it wouldn't be a good idea from a practical usage point of view to have taller back & side pieces on the bottom/outermost tray - tall enough to let you pack gear reasonably closely around the fridge slide without creating any ventilation issues, and also tall enough to stop any nearby gear slipping/falling into the gap whenever the fridge is slid out into the 'out & tilted' position?!? I think that the 'gear falling behind' thing is a bit of an issue with pretty much every 'tray style' fridge slide, but your 'tray in boxes' design looks like it'd be fairly easy to modify with taller sides/end on the outermost box to stop that from ever happening. What do you reckon? Had any problems like that yet?? ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “DIY”