Drawer for the ute

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
cbd
Here and there

Drawer for the ute

Unread post by cbd » January 31st, 2019, 7:51 am

G’day
After much reading I’ve decided to build some drawers for the ute.
On a budget but I have a lot of tools and odds and sods to keep costs down.
Will not be buying heavyweight drawer slides or fancy locks will use yellow younger slides and the drawers will be in a locked tub and canopy.
Light. I don’t want to overbuild just for the sake of it. Don’t need to fill it full of tradies tools. 2 x sheets of 12 mm standard ply weight 20 kg ea so I’m aiming for 40 kg max.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbd
Here and there

Re: Drawer for the ute

Unread post by cbd » January 31st, 2019, 11:31 am

G’day
Simple glue and screw construction but very strong. Used a all in one drill and countersunk to make it quick. Cut out any bits that weren’t needed with a jigsaw to keep down the weight.
Yellow tongue for runners are available from Bunnings in the electrical section for about $5 per 3600mm length. I used 3 strips to do 2 runners per base and 2 on the sides. Run a bit of wax candle over the wood slide like a champ.
Had some water based clear varnish. Watered down by 1/4 as per the can instructions. Gives a measure of water resistance and stops the glue from soaking in when putting on the carpet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » February 1st, 2019, 7:54 am

G’day
Car carpet from Bunnings, $32 a metre but it’s 2 metres wide so a couple of metres will do.
It’s pretty thick and I’m told the thinner stuff is easier to use but I’ll go the thick the other doesn’t appear to be very robust.
See a lot of U-tube clips where they we using spray adhesive. The bloke who cut the carpet recons the “carpet and cork glues” the best. Recon he’s right I got a good result. Have to clean your hands often as you can tend to get it every wear. Used a staple gun as well to hold the back. A rubber mallet and a block of wood help to smooth things out. I brought a $1.20 notched scalper you’ll need that. I cut it in 1/2 for the fiddly bits

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » February 1st, 2019, 8:09 am

G’day
Drawer fronts. Cover and attach by screwing in from inside the drawers worth it for the neat result

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » February 1st, 2019, 8:20 am

G,day
Paint. The drawers look better with the sides and insides painted. I colour matched a 500 ml sample pot. It’s only $8 and it’s a semi gloss so unlike a full gloss it would show up the minor imperfections.
I painted the drawer sides rather than carpet. I’ll put a bit of loose carpet in the bottom. If you have a a UHT milk explosion it’s easy to ditch the carpet and wipe up. And yes I had to take the plastic strips off to paint

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » February 1st, 2019, 8:24 am

G’day
I didn’t include locks only handles which I brought before I started so l could get them real close to the tailgate to stop the drawers from opening. A few perfect measurements and a lot of luck

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » February 1st, 2019, 9:53 pm

G’day
Finally all the pieces come together. Happy with the results.
Had the son stand on a set of scales and hold up the diferent sections, subtract his weight gives what the pieces weight. Add all together and it comes to a respectable 43 kg. Happy with that!
Remove the drawers and the main section slides out just clears the sides so the unit is removable if required, I don’t think I remove it too often but it can be.
Next job is tie it down. My thoughts are.... a bracket in the front the unit can slide under and some rivnuts and bolts at the back?

Return to “DIY”