What brand of welder do you use

What's protecting your 4WD, and how do you melt it together?

What brand welder do you own?

= cigweld
40%
=BOC
30%
=Lincon
10%
=Rossi
20%

Total votes: 10

patrol17
Part of the furniture

What brand of welder do you use

Unread post by patrol17 » June 29th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Hi guy's seeing what the general public use in brand of welder's, I'm looking to buy a mig. Has anyone used the 3 in one mig,stick and tig? If so what has the Tig welded been like?

Currently i use a cig weld 270 at work but Tax time is coming up and after one for the shed.

Whats brand do you have and pro's and con's about it thank you.

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Re: What brand of welder do you use

Unread post by MasterInnovator » June 29th, 2014, 6:38 pm

I personally have a cig weld 250 at home and at work which is a steel fab shop we have unimig, and personally those a darn good

my80days
Been here a while

Unread post by my80days » June 29th, 2014, 7:41 pm

IMO you cant go past Kempi. I have one at home and at work and they are KISS machine KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.....
DON'T FENCE ME OUT.......I'LL LOOK AFTER IT........YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A GREENY TO LOVE IT.......

patrol17
Part of the furniture

Unread post by patrol17 » June 29th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Hi mate have you ever had the use of a 3 in one. I'm after a mig but if it can do tig to i'll get it but do you know if its good a doing a ftg weld?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Unimig-190-M ... 6ba&_uhb=1

Im thinking this welder as a straight mig to.

http://www.totaltools.com.au/cigweld-we ... 6_g-RaR1Zg

Hard decision lol

Just done a google search on Kemppi welder's mate, you buy it lately?

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » June 29th, 2014, 7:59 pm

I am pretty sure there is a 3in1 unimig , I haven't tigged with one though

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » June 29th, 2014, 11:50 pm

And you don't want too.

At home I have a $300 Bunnings Ozito gas/gasless mig, and at work we have 2 $300 Bunnings Ozito gas/gasless mig. All only run gasless wire and they are fantastic!

For what you get as a first welder I couldn't recommend them more, buy one and when you get to a point where it's not enough, then replace it with something better.... follow this and I bet you'll never replace it!

Now I have had to do one warranty claim and that was 15 months after purchase and yet it was replaced without question with a brand new unit and no problems.

I also recommend the Ozito 4" grinder; that said, their 9" grinders are useless and should be avoided at all costs.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » June 30th, 2014, 8:06 am

The main theme here is you get what you pay for and nothing more. I have done a fair bit of mig repairs over the years as an industrial service electrician, though mostly on larger 3 phase fab shop machines. I have only owned 3 migs in the last 17 or so years, started off with an old unimig that I picked up for $50 that needed some repair. It did the job for panel work but even after I fitted a fan it was never enough. Wire feed assembly was cheap and nasty and gun cable and wire jammups were frustrating (I'd say the newer ones would be better). Replaced it with a Lincoln SP170T that I got for free because cost of spares made it a writeoff (fixed it with $15 worth of Dick Smith bits), it was better. Later I found myself in a position to buy new and after a look I had a choice between Unimig, Wia, Cig and Lincoln. Settled on the lincoln, they were all around the $1000 mark but the Lincoln "Powermig 180c" had a far better wirefeed assembly and not being an inverter style was a deciding factor as a lot of the time when the inverter card fails it's a 7 or 800 dollar part on a $1000 machine.
A friend had a Ozito fail and he asked me to have a look, it was not repairable and seemed as absolutely cheap as possible inside. Though having said that another mate has had one for years and done a lot of work with it and had no problems. Only you know how much money you have.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » June 30th, 2014, 8:20 am

We run the tradetools knockoff of the Lincoln 170 at work. It's 6 years old and kicking goals every day. Proper 15 amp power is the key to good mig performance. Crap power will make any mig look bad.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » July 1st, 2014, 7:39 pm

Weldskil 135 CIG.Excellent welder for a home user.Can do body work (panels)
and plenty of other things if you know how to use it.Tried the gaseless wire,for
me,waste of time.I run argoshield and its a treat.Can also do ally.

patrol17
Part of the furniture

Unread post by patrol17 » July 1st, 2014, 8:02 pm

Cheer's boyz thinking one of the 3 cigweld, BOC or lincon. i'll keep you all posted.

Return to “Barwork and Metal Fab”