Building a Ute Tray with 'Roll Bar' Headboard

What's protecting your 4WD, and how do you melt it together?
Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Building a Ute Tray with 'Roll Bar' Headboard

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » March 9th, 2014, 11:51 am

Hi all,

I have to build a new tray for my HJ47 over the nex couple of months, and I am considering factoring in a strengthened headboard to use as kind of a roll bar? The idea is not to provide the same protection as a complete roll bar, but rather more then nothing - in a high speed roll the bar would provicde some protection for the occupants in the cab.

So heres the idea - 3mm wall 80mm diameter for the head board and the same for the rear builders rack.
I will weld it up so that these bolt directly arround the chassis (not the tray mounts), the tray will then be built arround (and onto) the front and rear bars. The front and rear bars will have detachable supports that may for the base for a roof top tent in the future.

Im a little worred that it will all be for no reason - IE have no effect in a roll over situation.?
will single piece 3mm wall 80mm tube be strong enough for a roll bar?
should the roll bar sit above the height of the cab or even, or is below the height of the cab ok?

Any advice appreciated. - especially from anyone that has actually designed a roll bar before. :lol:
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

jamie l curtis
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Building a Ute Tray with 'Roll Bar' Headboard

Unread post by jamie l curtis » July 1st, 2014, 12:46 pm

Mate a 80mm x 3mm wt pipe will be ample for what you require. make sure its either black pipe or erw tube and not gal waterpipe though. I've seen many people use gal waterpipe before. black pipe is easier to work with, but erw is stronger but not as easy to bend.

Return to “Barwork and Metal Fab”