New Bull Bar - Should I paint or powder coat?

What's protecting your 4WD, and how do you melt it together?
tony_j
Here and there

New Bull Bar - Should I paint or powder coat?

Unread post by tony_j » September 30th, 2013, 5:01 pm

I have just bought a new bullbar to go on a new 70 series GXL. The car is white (French Vanilla) and I'd like the bullbar colour to match. The powder coater said he had whites, but couldn't colour match. The spray painter said he could colour match but recommended powder coat as it would be cheaper and more robust where as the paint would chip (I travel out west on dirt and thru the bush).
My last vehicle was white with a black bullbar and really, the black looks sh*t in my opinion.
Which way to go? I think if I powder coat and the whites are a bit different - it will look sh*t. But if the paint chips easily it will look sh*t. :crazy:
What I really need is a powder coater that can colour match.
Any thoughts?
Tony

oversite
Need to get out more

Re: New Bull Bar - Should I paint or powder coat?

Unread post by oversite » September 30th, 2013, 11:39 pm

Personally I like the black bullbars on white vehicles, :)

I agree that an off colour white would look stupid.

what about powder coating for durability and getting a coat of spray over the top, when you get it sprayed you could shell out a few dollars for a can of touch up in the exact colour of the bar, so chips wouldnt matter so much.

tony_j
Here and there

Unread post by tony_j » October 1st, 2013, 10:04 am

Did think about that but it almost doubles the cost of colour coding the bar. Its already powder coated black, then if I powder coat white and then have it sprayed - it makes an expensive bar!

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » October 1st, 2013, 10:21 am

If its allready powder coated , just throw a coat of paint on over the top. and get a can made up as well.

As for it chipping, you would be suprised how long a quality job will last.

dod28
Avid Poster

Unread post by dod28 » October 1st, 2013, 2:16 pm

Powder coat can't be mixed like paint so you won't find anyone that will colour match. Most powder coaters will only carry a selected range of popular colours and probably won't tell you about the thousands of other colours that are available. So there just might be a colour out there that matches what you want but you would have to pay for the whole box of powder. Try getting in touch with Interpon or Dulux to see if they have the colour you're after.

tony_j
Here and there

Unread post by tony_j » October 1st, 2013, 7:20 pm

Yep, thanks. Found a powder coater who uses Dulux and he says he can do Toyota colour and match it. About 100k's away so all is good now. Thanks all

Return to “Barwork and Metal Fab”