Are these holes for Fitting a rated tow hook?

What's protecting your 4WD, and how do you melt it together?
oversite
Need to get out more

Re: Are these holes for Fitting a rated tow hook?

Unread post by oversite » October 21st, 2013, 8:15 pm

hay as long as they are HT ties!

he must be trying to sell it :)

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » October 21st, 2013, 8:43 pm

putting nuts or plates with bits of wire welded on them up the chassis rails is pretty well common practice these days.

I can see that in many situations a thick plate with a nut or bolt welded to it is a better option than crush tubes and long bolts.

you would be surprised how far up the chasis rails you can push a plate with a piece of wire.

AND many of the modern chassis have openings specifically designed for pokeing hasteners up.

I've just swapped the side steps from the hand brakes old RAV to the new one......it is plain and obvious that the various holes where specificaly intended to be used in that way.

You just got to work out the correct size and shape thing to poke up the chassis rail.

fortunately for me my era of hilux had bolt pattern correct captive nuts in the chassis rails for recovery hooks.

cheers

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » October 22nd, 2013, 8:15 pm

Well i had a play around with different options today. I've found a spot where i could bolt them but after measuring different things, i would have to mod the bull bar a little too much.

I've decided i will get the tow hook mounts on the bull bar beefed up by a pro welder and mount them there

Today i forked out $27 for H/T bolts and washer to re-fit the bullbar and she is mint.

Cheers
Hilux LN106

Return to “Barwork and Metal Fab”