Are these holes for Fitting a rated tow hook?

What's protecting your 4WD, and how do you melt it together?
Adon92
Been here a while

Are these holes for Fitting a rated tow hook?

Unread post by Adon92 » August 15th, 2013, 4:13 pm

How it going fellas

I have bought a 4.5T rated tow hook to put on the front of my hilux.

Had a bit of a search on here and apparently some ARB bull bars have spots for them already. Now i don't know what brand of bullbar my hilux has, but is pretty bloody solid build compared to some i've seen.

I had a look under it and on each side of the bullbar it has 2 holes under it and the bolts for the hook line up perfectly - is this what they are for?

The pics show the mounts. I don't want to bolt it up until someone with a little more experience than me has had a bit of a look

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hilux LN106

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Are these holes for Fitting a rated tow hook?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 16th, 2013, 3:45 pm

If those are built in as part of the bull bar, preferably as part of the main spar that is the same piece of metal which bolts to the chassis rails with HT bolts and load spreading plates/crush tubes etc, and carries the bull bar, then it could well be that they are meant to allow you to fit a rated tow hook there.

From those pics, it isn't absolutely clear but it certainly looks like someone has made an effort to ensure they are clear of any obstacles for the hook/straps, etc, and that they are braced/heavy enough to take the sort of loads snatching might impose, altho you will almost certainly need load spreading plates on the other side of the bracket from the hook when you fit in, and you should always use TWO hooks with a load equalising bridle between them and running thru the snatch strap eye (still wouldn't hurt to have an arrester rope to secure the snatch strap & the load equalising bridle back to another secure spot on the chassis as well tho) Got any better pics of the bull bar mount and how the bar itself and those brackets are secured to each other and the chassis rails??
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » August 16th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Hopefully these pics show a little more. I have used the 2 eyelets on the front of the bar for snatching before (circled with red) and never had a problem except they are a little bent now haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hilux LN106

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » August 16th, 2013, 5:25 pm

and the bull bar side mounts
Hilux LN106

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 16th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Yeah, those two eyes that you've circled are invitations to kill someone!! They weren't ever intended as snatching points, and I've seen so many of them ripped right off the front of the bar that it isn't funny - especially when you consider that there MUST have been a shackle attached to what was left of them flying around on the end of a recoiling snatch strap!!! You might get away with it some of the time, but eventually it will catch up with you and something will break.... don't use them to snatch off!

As for the other brackets, it does look like they were intended to take the rated hooks, but are those bolts holding it on HT bolts? And are there load spreading plates on the other side of the bolts? Do the load spreading plates have rounded edges and corners, are they more than 3 times the 'footprint' area of the bolted bearing surface? And has the chassis rail underneath where they mount rusted out? You might need to remove them & the the bull bar side mounts and clean up all the mounts/mating surfaces, convert/repair any rust, prime & paint it all, and make it a good mount before you put any snatch loads on it, or you could find the bull bar heading off towards the recovery vehicle at more than about 230kph the next time you try to snatch!!! :eek:

But it does look like you are on the right track! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » August 16th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Yeah i see where you are coming from about snatching from the eyelets. Only did it once on 1 of my first 4x4 outings with this ute. had to pull a broken down 4x4 from the beach to the car park. Took ages but was worth it. Wasnt a snatch as much, just dragging it up sand dunes and stuff when going forwards wouldnt work haha.

I might remove all the bolts and replace them with new high tensiles and go over it all. May even look at bolting the hook to the chassis
Hilux LN106

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » August 16th, 2013, 7:44 pm

just had a look, the bolts appear to be those piss weak galvinised ones you use to build a shed. No load spreading plates that i can see? they appear to thread into the chassis. Going to have to have something made up i think
Hilux LN106

FuzzyM
Been here a while

Unread post by FuzzyM » August 27th, 2013, 11:15 am

I have similar holes on my Hilux, but the bar and mounts are a bit sturdier than that.
Have mounted a recovery hook on each side with some large fine thread HT bolts. Could have bolted them into the chassis with the bullbar mount bolts, but it is much easier to access them this way and I use an equaliser strap onto both for any decent force.
I painted the hooks red so that adds some serious load rating right? :p

I only use the loops on the bullbar for sitting my winch hook on.
1998 Dual Cab Hilux 2.7

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » October 16th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Cheers mate.

So after about 5 hours of undoing 10 bolts that hold the bar on, i finally got it off. Multiple bruises and a blown out finger later....

Anyway, i noticed that next the the front spring hanger, there is 2 holes that are covered when the bull bar is on. They line up perfectly with the tow hooks holes but only one of the holes is threaded. Is there any spots on the hiluxes that were designed to bolt a hook to?

Other than that, i think my only other option is the have the welds on the bullbar beefed up by a pro and re fit with all now H/T bolts and washers.
Hilux LN106

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » October 20th, 2013, 7:34 am

If they are clear for access I'd be drilling out the bar to accept those two holes in the chasis that are correctly spaced for the recovery points.....that is what those holes are intended for.

If there is a clear line of pull, a direct connection to the chassis is always a preferance.

cheers

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » October 20th, 2013, 4:06 pm

How do I get the nut for the front hole inside of the chassis though? Only one hole is threaded. It's the same on both sides of the chassis.
Hilux LN106

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » October 20th, 2013, 10:19 pm

If there is an opening in the chassis, weld a piece of wire to the nut.
or weld a nut to a piece of flat....or go the other way and weld a bolt thru a piece of flat and put a nut on the easy side.

then you poke that inside the chassis

cheers

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » October 20th, 2013, 10:33 pm

I'm going through similar with mine after putting it off for ages. I have two large holes right through the chassis rails each side, the center of which line up with the mounting holes in a pair of outback ideas recovery points. I'm about to call through with dimensions for some BMS steel sleeves that I need to place inside the rails where the large holes are, with a stress plate on the other side of the recovery plate to prevent crushing them when mounting bolts are tightened or when a recovery is happening. That is the only thing I can do with mine without doing stupid other recovery points. Whilst other people are risking life and property recovering from the transport tie down points. Like me, you don't appear to have many options. For a long time, Toyota did not consider that someone might actually go off-road and need to pull out their vehicle. Now they avoid giving people any realistic options and chassis are very flexy/weak.

Hope you find a solution though.

Shakes.

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » October 21st, 2013, 2:49 pm

haha funny you mention about welding wire to the nut. I was on the bolt supply shop today and the guy there said that the tow hooks he got for a nissan actually came with wire attached to the nuts. Sounds like a good idea

Cheers for the input guys, i appreciate it!
Hilux LN106

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » October 21st, 2013, 2:59 pm

took this pic to stir up a mate haha

high tensile zip ties
Hilux LN106

Return to “Barwork and Metal Fab”