From fence to roof rack

What's protecting your 4WD, and how do you melt it together?
typhoeus
Need to get out more

From fence to roof rack

Unread post by typhoeus » July 27th, 2013, 2:27 pm

So, I found this piece of fencing and decided to make a rack out of it, I figure it would be strong enough for what i want, and as cheap as the welding rods used to weld it together

will weld it up and bolt it on next saturday and post a couple of pics. Its nothing flash, but i think it will be perfectly serviceable and thats what matters to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Re: From fence to roof rack

Unread post by Dree Mon » July 27th, 2013, 3:05 pm

:thumb: Good stuff ! and ya cant beat galv ! , only thing I've noticed with when I built my racks is that the only thing to be worried about is the welded spots will start to rust if not prepped and painted well,
but yeah , that fence stuff will easily do the job :drink:

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » July 28th, 2013, 5:32 am

typhoeus wrote: and as cheap as the welding rods used to weld it together
Your welding that up with a stick welder? now thats gutsy! :frog:

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » August 3rd, 2013, 7:53 pm

To continue on, I welded it all up, touched up the welds with cold galvanising paint. now its ready to fit to the roof bars. But first I have attached a piece of wire to the roof bars the same height at the basket I made. Over the next week Ill check it can fit in the various underground carparks i use, so I know which ones to avoid when ive fitted it on.

It can easily hold up to 100 kg, which is more than I would ever put up that high
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » August 3rd, 2013, 7:53 pm

To continue on, I welded it all up, touched up the welds with cold galvanising paint. now its ready to fit to the roof bars. But first I have attached a piece of wire to the roof bars the same height at the basket I made. Over the next week Ill check it can fit in the various underground carparks i use, so I know which ones to avoid when ive fitted it on.

It can easily hold up to 100 kg, which is more than I would ever put up that high
Last edited by typhoeus on August 3rd, 2013, 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Coco7
Been here a while

Unread post by Coco7 » October 29th, 2013, 10:44 am

Now thats creative lol

80Butts
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80Butts » October 29th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Great stuff. May as well use what you got.
I just turned some old gate frames into a clothesline support and some other bits and bobs i needed round the house

Return to “Barwork and Metal Fab”