New Tray for my 75 series

What's protecting your 4WD, and how do you melt it together?
FNQBunyip
Here and there

New Tray for my 75 series

Unread post by FNQBunyip » April 26th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Ok well after way too long I've moved some stuff around to make some room and made a start at building a new tray for my 75 series . I took the old tray off about 18 months ago and stuck a spare light one on with just a bit of form ply in it to keep the old girl on the road ,lol

Then a couple of weeks ago I got another ear bashing from her in doors that I need too get onto that tray rusting away under the trees in the yard .So I flipped it over and got busy...

The main rails are in good nic with only a bit of rust pitting on the top at the front .. I braced them before cutting them out of the old tray .

Then started to think about a new design and how it might all work ..

Living up here in the north with a ute its hard too keep the shopping dry in the wet season if we both go ,so wanted to build tool boxes , and we have been thinking of maybe a camper trailer or roof top tent , but then the quad bike needs to go up there as well , so 50/ 50 seems like the way to go .. I can put a rear ladder rack on after the bike rides up . A roof top tent could hinge from the front to allow the rack in or out to ride the bike up ... well it sounds good in my head ,lol ...

So it began ...
Cardboard down on the outside table ..I always save a few big bits from boxes to lay on on the gravel or put down like this.

Then bring in a sheet to work on ..and move the dog ..

Slowly taking shape..

So its a long way from going to town but its coming along , I've been getting tail light and bits for ages and i've had the steel in the rack for at least 8 months .. I've trolled around these threads and others looking at everybody's ideas and in the end just had to make a start ..

cheers Ned

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Re: New Tray for my 75 series

Unread post by THE RIG » April 28th, 2013, 6:40 pm

nice one, i like your design so far.

FNQBunyip
Here and there

Unread post by FNQBunyip » May 5th, 2013, 6:42 am

Thanks The Rig ,

Well most guys get busy in the shed in the wet weather , but its the opposite here , lol So with the wind and showers all week the welder has been packed away , keen too get back into it ..

cheers

FNQBunyip
Here and there

Unread post by FNQBunyip » May 6th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Well a sunny day yesterday saw the welder out , did most of the full welds as it was just sitting there tacked together ..
I added half chain links to the underside of the corner gussets to run wires or zip tie things too ,
and cut a heep more links to weld in.

Added the mounting plates for the top lights

Unfortunately the rain has returned today , will need to do a trip to metal land and get more tube soon as I used some on a cashy and had forgotten I don't have it . lol ..

Cheers

FuzzyM
Been here a while

Unread post by FuzzyM » June 7th, 2013, 11:29 am

Very interesting!Keep up the good work!
Looking to build myself a tray and slip on toolbox camper in the next little while.
1998 Dual Cab Hilux 2.7

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » June 7th, 2013, 7:22 pm

keep it up, looking better and better

d21nav-man
Getting to know the place

Unread post by d21nav-man » October 14th, 2013, 7:51 pm

love it mate! can't wait to see it finished
Yes its a navara!