Tube Notching Templates

What's protecting your 4WD, and how do you melt it together?
dudelux
Part of the furniture

Re: Tube Notching Templates

Unread post by dudelux » April 14th, 2012, 8:40 pm

I was going to fork out for a drill press, and some holesaws, so I could do my tube notching.
Then I read this thread, and the link at the top, and was going to use the template from that, but couldnt figure it out properly.
I read through the "Using a chopssaw method", from Pirate, and then I read the bit about using old toliet rolls to make the template.

Im currently doing my sliders, and I cut an extra piece so I could use it as a guide.
I used the grinder to get the piece notched to where I wanted it, then cut 1 toliet roll along the side, wrapped it around the piece of tube I had just cut, and marked the notch with a pen.
Thenit was as easy as cutting along the line, wrap the toliet roll template around the tube, mark the line, and hack into it with the grinder.

Pieces of tube notched, a small gap here and there, but it came up pretty good for what seems like a dodgy technique.

brad_m
Here and there

Unread post by brad_m » April 28th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Here is the original program that they have used. WINMITER http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/winmiter.html

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » May 5th, 2012, 7:38 am

has anyone got a template that does a tube to bevel/flat plate. this calc only does bar to bar

Return to “Barwork and Metal Fab”