new rims + tyres castor and camber check

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
ranger100
I'm new, be nice!

new rims + tyres castor and camber check

Unread post by ranger100 » September 5th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Hi members
I am looking at buying new rims and tires for a 2011 ford ranger xl.
Getting steel kings rims 16x7 and 245/70/r16 bridgestone 697s.
Iam getting a wheel alignment done to.
Is it necessary to get a castor and camber check done as well or is this a waste of money as the car has only done 40,000 klms on the original tyres.
cheers Stephen.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: new rims + tyres castor and camber check

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 5th, 2016, 5:47 pm

If the steel rims are IDENTICAL to the OE rims then you might risk just doing the toe alignment, but I doubt they are going to be exactly the same offset &/or width. If they aren't exactly the same, getting the caster & camber check done is a pretty smart idea, especially if you've put a lift or even just swapped in A/mkt or Heavy Duty Shocks or Springs in there!!

Any significant change to the wheels & tyres, running gear, or suspension height pretty much warrants a full alignment check; as does any significant knock or damage while you're out 4Wheeling for that matter!! So if you are careful to avoid biggish knocks or lifting your wheels too often while you are 4Wheeling, you can probably expect to get away with just a wheel rotation & toe alignment check every 10,000 km or so & a full on 'check everything' alignment every 100K km or whenever you fit new tyres.

If you don't get the whole shebang done when fitting your new wheels &/or tyres, you run the risk of significantly shortening their potential life, possibly to less than half their potential km!! So it's your choice really, pay the $100 or whatever extra over the toe only alignment now, in order to get the full alignment done & then the regular toe alignments & rotation throughout their life so you can expect to get a full tread life from the tyres (barring accidents); or just whack 'em on now & maybe get as little as 25-40,000 km out of the rubber?!? Most 4WD LT tyres these days have a tread life expectation of up around 80,000 km or even better...... So you could save $400 or so over the life of the tyres just to hafta buy a full new set of tyres again in say 35,000km cos they've been wearing dangerously for their whole life; or spend an extra $150ish now & maybe lash out $50ish every 10K or so to get 80K plus km out of your new tyres. Your choice - of tyres & of how you maintain them! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

ranger100
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ranger100 » September 7th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Hi Peter thanks for the great info .
After reading your post Iam going to get a alignment done as well as the castor and camber. Thanks Stephen

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 7th, 2016, 12:27 pm

Good idea! :thumb:

Get that all sorted now to go along with your new tyres & rims, & with some reasonable driving & a bit of care, regular tyre rotations, etc, there's a good chance you won't even need to look at the caster & camber side of things until you get it all checked again with your next set of new tyres - and barring any significant changes, like a suspension lift, a new set of ball joints, or maybe a new set of different offset rims, you aren't likely to need to do anything else then but to confirm it's still OK! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”