Major Repair on 35" Muddy

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
Stonepointer
Here and there

Major Repair on 35" Muddy

Unread post by Stonepointer » January 4th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Gday, Does anyone know anyone in Adelaide that would do a major repair on a R16 315/75 muddy. I picked up a pair of scissors on the road it when straight through a new tyre. Any thoughts on doing this or not or experience in a major repair or running a tube and patch would be great. How relaible would it be? i really don't want to waste a $400 plus tyre. I would say the cut is about 25mm to 30mm long.
Here fishy fishy fishy.

Prado 150
Here and there

Re: Major Repair on 35" Muddy

Unread post by Prado 150 » January 5th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Hi i had a star steak go through my mud tyre i had a patch put inside of it and haven't had any problems with it

Cheers Prado150

HillsForThrills
Avid Poster
Location: It varies... My Patrol has a turning circle nearly half of Qld

Unread post by HillsForThrills » January 7th, 2014, 11:17 am

If it went through the tread mate, it's not an issue, they'll just patch it, won't need a tube... Sidewalls are a different story, but they're still repairable as well in some cases... I've had two sidewall repairs done on my tyres, and they're fine... You'll probably find they will have to send the tyre away to be fixed, well, they do for sidewalls, not sure about tread repairs...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 7th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Talk to Adelaide Tyre Power - you'll hafta look up the number etc, cos I don't have it handy, but if it is legit to do a major repair on it, they are the people to do it! ;)

There are some pretty stringent legalities about what they are allowed to fix, they'll hafta inspect it to see if it's OK, but if it is, you'll effectively have a new tyre that is just as reliable as any other new tyre... in fact, depending on where it is, you might not even be able to see that it's been repaired!! I was getting 4 new tyres put onto rims just yesterday, and only had 2 naked rims, so was looking for the oldest/most worn/most damaged tyres to sacrifice so I could toss them, and decided that cos I had one tyre that this mob did a major repair on about 70,000km ago, I would toss it rather than a perfectly good/untouched carcass that might have the same sort of tread left..... but I couldn't tell which tyre was the one that had the major repair!! :( Just went by the most ragged looking sidewalls with the least tread left, and mentioned it to the blokes doing the strip & fit for me - they rang this arvo and said that I blew it, neither of the two tyres they stripped had any signs of a major repair on the inside, and I woulda thunk that would be the telling factor - so the tyre with a major repair done by Adelaide Tyre Power is still on that Patrol after about 70,000km and we can't tell it's had any work!! Ya gotta be lucky some times! :)

Good Luck to you with yours. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Stonepointer
Here and there

Unread post by Stonepointer » January 8th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Wow Peter great news,

Ive know a guy in Cummins SA that will do it for me but i have to send it there.
I will check out Adelaide Tyre Power - cheers

cheers for the reply's
Luke
Here fishy fishy fishy.

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”