All the Stud Patterns for 4WD vehicles

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
Bazz67
Here and there

All the Stud Patterns for 4WD vehicles

Unread post by Bazz67 » July 24th, 2013, 1:03 am

Gday All
I am chasing a web site that may help me out, sorry if I am in the wrong section. I require the stud pattern measurements of the major fwd vehicles, I know earlier 6 stud Toyota and Nissan are the same with 1 difference being the size of the center diameter hole but not sure about what vehicles have the same stud pattern measurements. Basically what I am looking at is the measurements of 5,6,8 stud pattern measurements, I am also not sure if there is a 4 stud pattern 4X4 out there. Any help would be great. I dont come on very often as I dont get the chance.

Thanks in advance, if Im the wrong forum can you please send me in the right direction.

Thanks
Bazz

DJR96
Need to get out more

Re: Stud Patterns

Unread post by DJR96 » July 24th, 2013, 9:17 am

OK, let's try and make this a decent reference topic.

Here's a table of all the possible patterns made.

How to measure.

The other important dimension is the centre bore.

This site has a database of vehicle wheel pattern specs, although US based.
http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods ... tabase.asp

This .pdf list is of any stud patterns that may have been used for trailers in Australia. Covers most.
http://www.alltrailerspares.com.au/Asse ... tterns.pdf

Also be aware that metric and imperial measurements are often mixed on applications. eg. Nissan and Toyota use 6x5.5" PCD and 100 or 106mm centre-bore.

And you're quite right, the Nissan wheels has a centre-bore of 100mm and won't fit over Toyota hubs which are 106mm even though the studs are a match.

NOTE! It is illegal to use a wheel that doesn't fit properly including the centre-bore size.

Although the studs usually do, they shouldn't be relied upon to carry the dead weight of the vehicle, particularly the impact loads of a rough surface.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » July 24th, 2013, 1:50 pm

DJR96
Why would they measure all the studs from centre to centre on three hubs the same way but measure the 5 stud from outside of hole to centre.
Doesn't seem a logical thing to do.
If measuring with calipers ie digital calipers, then from outside to same side of opposite stud is accurate and easy to do. Guessing the middle sure isn't.
My hope is Aussies don't start calling studs, LUGS.

The diagrams show what the theory is but the measuring in practice is a bit different.

That looks like a Yankee diagram as the call the studs LUGS.
Lugs are projections of castings to which things may be fixed to, perhaps by a thread or bolt. Where ball joints fit in a suspension is a tapered hole lug.

DJR96
Need to get out more

Re: All the Stud Patterns for 4WD vehicles

Unread post by DJR96 » July 24th, 2013, 11:57 pm

I agree.
Because measuring with 5 studs isn't across the centre of the pattern so it won't be the actual PCD. By including half a diameter of a stud it gets pretty close to the actual PCD. And would be correct if the stud diameter is a certain proportion of the PCD (haven't done the math to work that out though).
Not essential, so long as everyone is consistent in measuring it the same way. Besides, you only need to be within a few mm to determine what size it matches.

And yes, I agree re: lugs too.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » July 25th, 2013, 12:19 pm

DJR96 wrote:Here's a table of all the possible patterns made.
Not all of them 6x205mm some Landrover and small Unimogs

Bazz67
Here and there

Re: All the Stud Patterns for 4WD vehicles

Unread post by Bazz67 » July 25th, 2013, 10:48 pm

Gday Guys
Thanks for the information it will definitely help out with my project. I appreciate the help.

Thanks
Bazz

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”