tyre pressure monitors - up to date info?

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
Luke2
Been here a while

tyre pressure monitors - up to date info?

Unread post by Luke2 » July 23rd, 2013, 10:31 am

Trying to find up-to-date info on tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS). looks like since the last posts on this topic the Smartire system is no longer available for 4WDs. After looking around the web it seems the only options are TyreDog type systems (with sensor external on valve) or the Inawise type system http://www.inawise.com/tpms203.html that uses a butterfly shaped sensor in the tyre behind the valve.
I don't want external sensors.
Am i right in thinking the internal sensor (like Smartire) that strapped to the inside of the wheel (like a big hose clamp) are no longer available from any suppliers?
If that's right what's the thoughts on the Inawise system?
I heard somewhere that the sensor behind the valve slows down air-up and air-down? I don't know where I heard that it might have been my imagination but anyone got experience?
I've spoken with Inawise and their system does allow low pressure monitoring and seems to be pretty good.
But I want to see all options and find out any negatives before buying them.
Feedback appreciated.

evaredy
Been here a while

Re: tyre pressure monitors - up to date info?

Unread post by evaredy » July 23rd, 2013, 11:42 am

I would also like to know more about these TPMS units and what is the best way to go.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 23rd, 2013, 2:24 pm

I haven't noticed any slowing of air up/down with the Inawise internal sensors, altho I'm not quite as happy with them as I was with the previous RV 'strap on' sensors I used that came from the states. They work well, they react quickly to temp and pressure variations, they are a bit of a pain to get used to adjusting the settings on; but when you stack that up against the false pressure and temp readings that can drive you nuts which you get from all the systems with external sensors and the tendency of external sensors to fail when you most need to rely on them (or just about every time you drive thru deep water!!) they are a whole lot better deal!! And you can get a 6 tyre kit &/or a kit that will cover your spares as well as the tyres on the trailer!!

So while they aren't the all singing all dancing solution to your tyre pressure monitoring needs, and they aren't quite what the strap on jobbies were, they are certainly a whole lot better than anything else readily available right now! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Luke2
Been here a while

Unread post by Luke2 » July 23rd, 2013, 4:29 pm

Thanks Peter,
I wonder how hard it would be to get the Smartire truck system and fit them to a 4WD wheel. I might ring them and ask some questions.
And thanks for info on Inawise sounds like a good plan B.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » July 23rd, 2013, 11:26 pm

Been using Sensa Tire for the last 7 or 8 years which are a part of the valve stem on the inside of the tyre which works great but I'm sick of tyre repair guy breaking them when fitting new tyres or repairing ones that have been staked. The ones I have trouble with the most are the repairers that say they know how to fit them I done plenty with tyre monitors yet the repairers that haven't fitted them previously take more care & don't break them .The other hassle is when you do a tyre rotation or when you fit one of your two spares which don't have monitors fitted .
So I 'm looking into the Tyredog system which have them externally as you can take them off & put them on the next wheel when changing tyres or before you give them to the tyre repair guy. The kit I'm looking at allows to do the camper trailer as well with a signal booster which mounts under the rear of the 4wd.

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » July 24th, 2013, 8:41 am

I was looking at the external ones, I think they are better for reasons stated above. Is there any difference in performance between internal and external?

Luke2
Been here a while

Unread post by Luke2 » July 24th, 2013, 9:23 am

Phoned around a bit - Smartire don't seem to be available in AUstralia - even for truck tyres now.
I looked up Sensatyre after reading TLC60S's post and they offer a strap-on unit (internal) and looks like they are available from a few different sellers for about $380 (4 tyres) and $35 for an extra sensor. They look similar to Smartire - anybody else used Sensatyre? Sounds like if I can keep the tyre repairers from breaking them this could be an option.

TLC60S and Evaredy - I can see that the extra hassles of internal might be a nuisance but for my uses I think internal will last longer. I also have a mate with a tyre dealership and I know he'll be careful.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 24th, 2013, 4:27 pm

You're absolutely right Luke! Just to make sure we weren't consigning the Tyredogs to the 'not good' heap of kit due to getting a dud batch, we persisted with the external sensor kits for 3 full sets of sensors each on each of two vehicles, ie 4 sensors a time on EACH vehicle, 3 sets x 4 sensors x 2 vehicles, giving us 24 sensors total... but they just didn't stand up to our 4WDing use well at all - but to counter that, the set on our Pathy that doesn't do a heap of off road work all too often is still running its original set with only one sensor needing to be replaced, and that was in the last 12 months after a couple of years of operation (only 70,000km tho).

Both of the Patrols we ran the tyre dogs on run rims that do a lot to protect the valves and any sensor mounted on them, and yet they still failed regularly, ie a max of about 20,000 km of off bitumen work with maybe half as much again on the bitumen. The Pathy rims aren't as deep dished and don't offer as much protection, but then the vehicle doesn't spend anywhere near the same amount of time working thru mud, sand, snow, or water, or even exposed to the extremes of the elements, so while they might not be protected as much, the sensors don't get flicked around, sand blasted, hit with gravel, dunked in mud & water, or alternately cooked then frozen due to temperature extremes any where near as much as those on the Patrols, so maybe it's understandable.

Buuut, I still have the very first set of Smarttire 'strap to the rims' type sensors I ever got, they still work (altho I did hafta araldite one of the casings back together cos it cracked - made an awful noise flapping inside the tyre before I stopped - still works tho) and they are now wellll beyond double their warranted 5 years of life and have travelled over a million km. And I have a couple of other internal sensor systems/sets that are still going strong, altho I haven't yet run either of them for as long as the others and there are some differences that are a tad annoying - but then I figure that once you've tried something that does the job well and capably, anything else that doesn't quite measure up can seem a little annoying, can't it! ;) Oh, and I've never had an internal sensor broken by a tyre fitter, or broken one myself either, and all of our internal sensors have outlasted more than just a couple of tyres!!

But now I'm looking to see if anyone can retro fit a tyre inflation/deflation/pressure monitoring system like the one on Hummers to my Patrol diffs - the first mob who gets a system that will inflate or deflate tyres AND monitor their pressures on the move sorted properly will make a mint! Anyone seen an aftermarket supplier out there who does that??
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » July 24th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Having a tyre dealer that you know who doesn't break them is not really a solution one place in broke one of mine after saying they know how to fit them, 4000kms from home as I live in Sydney. At Mataranka NT that guy had never fitted a tyre with one so he took his time & repaired 2 of my staked tyres & never broke either sensor. One of those tyres had half of a pair of industrial scissors inside the tyre.

Luke2
Been here a while

Unread post by Luke2 » July 26th, 2018, 3:35 pm

It's been a while since the original post - I'm after 2018 info on tyre monitors - looking at Masten externals for a 4WD (5 units) and a separate set for truck and trailer (16 units). Anybody used them? How are they? Any other brands that have gone well? Cheers

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”