Dick Cepek Mud Country .....Long term review

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
pickle
Admin

Dick Cepek Mud Country .....Long term review

Unread post by pickle » December 20th, 2012, 8:28 am

Something the majority of 4wders will admit is they are anal about the tyres the put on their vehicles. And probably more so when it comes to mud tyres. The cost nowadays to shed your 4wd with new boots is enough for your wallet to resign to the fact that it will never be full again. So choosing a mud tyre that you are going to be comfortable with for the next few years with your off road work is a somewhat of a priority.
I have had the Cooper STT's on mine for a few years now and have had a fantastic run out of these tyres. Plenty of High Country work and other trips had seen me clock up near 50 k on these without so much as a sniff of a puncture. The sad news was I was running them full time on and off road so there demise was inevitable. With plenty of time to think about replacements I was really going to go the Coopers again but the opportunity to try some Dick Cepek Mud Country tires was put forward and the general meeting I had with my brain cells said ‘why not’.
Bob Jane Traralgon was the designated dealer to supply and fit these boots so it would be a highway run back to Melbourne for their maiden voyage. Scott from Bob Jane down their looked after the wheel alignment and although he stated it was just a tad out the front end was good.
So with the new tyres fitted and balanced it was westward ho!.
I can tell you now within 100 mtrs I knew the car had appreciated the new tyres. It just felt so smoother.
I think the old Coopers had hardened up over time and was starting to feel every bump with them. I honestly thought my suspension needed to be looked at. Now with these Dick Cepek tyres I knew it was the Coopers that was giving the harsh ride.
I had no problems putting my vehicle up to the posted 110 kph speed limit on the way home. The car just felt so comfortable at that speed with the new muds. And of course best of all was the expected roar from a mud tyre was not there. I really thought they would be on par with the Cooper STT in regards to noise but they are the same if not a tad quieter. So on the highway they felt very stable and at speed little noise. The only time I did hear them was on a few roundabouts at speed.
So that was about 200 klms worth after fitting, not a real test of a mud tyre I know but we will be looking at them long term. I did take the vehicle out last night and took it through some roundabouts in the sprinkling rain. They did certainly hang on better than the Coopers but not a fair comparison as the Coopers were pretty well worn.
I have a few trips up into the High Country over the next two months. We will put these tyres to the test on some of the tougher tracks up there and give a report back to you guys. I have about 300klms worth on them now but initial feeling with them on the tar is you wouldn’t really know you are running muds.
Let’s get some klms under them and see how they go.

The old Coopers sitting in the tyre graveyard.

One of the boys fitting up the new muds.

The finished product.
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Dick Cepek Mud Country .....Long term review

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 20th, 2012, 1:37 pm

The Challenger looks pretty good on the new tyres! Didn't look too bad on the old tyres either tho! :D

Just an aside, do you have any idea of how much tread was left above the wear mouldings on the STT's when they came off after 50,000km? And do you know how old were they too, off the code on the sidewall?

Now re the new tyres, how much tread depth over the wear mouldings now, and have you checked the date code on their sidewalls - are they really new, or have they been sitting around somewhere for a while?

Bob Jane Dealers & in fact most of the big names/dealers are usually pretty good in making sure that the tyres they get are 'new', but sometimes it can be a bit of a lottery - and since tyres start hardening up as soon as they are made, the older they are when they get fitted to your vehicle, the less usable life you are likely to get out of them before they get too hard to work properly.... I wonder how much of the 'bad press' some tyres have got or the poor performance some driver's complain about is due to tyres that are more than a just few years old?!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » December 20th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Peter,

How do you tell the date on which the tyres were made? What is it that I am trying to look for, as most of the numbers on the tyres, seem to be in some sort of code that only experts seem to be able to decipher.

BennyT50
BennyT50 - BT-50 SDX Dual Cab
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » December 20th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Peter,

Don't worry about it, I have googled it amd found how to read them. Geez they make it hard.

BennyT50
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 20th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Not all that hard?! Here's a link for those who don't know - there are others, but this one has pretty pictures! :D

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=11
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

bushy84
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bushy84 » December 20th, 2012, 3:59 pm

No do tell im interested

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » December 20th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Date on the sidewall has 24th week of 2012. Tread depth as measured by me is 16mm but according to website should be 18 mm. So either they are wearing fast of I have buggered up my measurement :lol: . Done about 400 klms on them now.
As for the STT's I didn't even think to look at the date on those. Didn't realise how hard they had got until I was driving on the new ones. I would be tippng they would be near when that new style tread was realeased on the STT as I had the older style STT on my car before those ones I just replaced. Noticed them a bit more noiser today on the Western Ring Road due to different surface on the tar but once on the proper sealed road they quieten down.
Dave

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 20th, 2012, 5:21 pm

The 18mm will be total tread depth, not depth to the tread wear bars - theoretically they are still OK to drive until those bars reach the top of the worn tread, and there should still be enough depth to keep you driving safely on wet roads. But the first 1000 km on new tyres does generally see a bit of 'wear' that shows up as loss of tread depth, altho it is actually more likely to be 'material compression' rather than actual tyre compound wearing off. ;) So it's probably not your 'overly aggressive driving' over the last 400 km that's worn 2mm off already! :lol:

As for the age of tyres, if your tyres are more than 7 years old, they are technically unroadworthy due to the ongoing degradation of the tyre compound over time and the way they get harder with age. I'd be wary of ever buying anything more than about 5 years old anyway, and if you do buy something that old, even second hand, you might find that you need to go somewhat lower in tyre pressure than you'd expect to get that 4psi increase (which means the tyres have reached safe operating temps) due to how hard they've become over time. And I know lots of people complain about their tyres being useless, but when you look at them they are too old to be any good anyhow - and the owner hasn't even considered replacing them!! :( :crazy:

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » December 20th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Peter,

Nothing is difficult when you are given an explanation of the codes. Without this explanation everything is foreign to the everyday punter. Thanks anyway.

BennyT50

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » December 20th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Thanks for the info Peter and others, I was thinking about looking at the D.C. tyres at Bob Jane, I am hoping that because they are selling them that they might compare to Maxiss which they also sell.

I will def be checking out the age of any tyre I buy from now on.

Happy Trails.

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » January 8th, 2013, 10:08 am

Well first real test of these tyres out in the High Country over the last week. Specifically did some of the rougher tracks but extreme heat limited me to what I wanted to do. Most of the days were 35c + so longer climbs were ruled out .
Area was around Dargo and surrounds.
First day out was up High Plains Rd and left towards Grant. The plan was to drop down to Talbotville then along Crooked River and up Bulltown Spur. A change of mind saw us drop down Bulltown onto Crooked River due to the heat.
Anyway had dropped tyre pressure down to 23 before I hit the dirt but after a few klms on the dirt it felt to high as the car was still on full pressure.
Stopping at Grant cemetary I dropped them down to 20 psi. Made the ride a bit more comfortable but I reckon I still could have gone down more.
Dropping down Bulltown the tyres felt good. A pretty chopped up track now and the only time I lost grip was when the tyres rolled over larger rocks whilst braking.
On to Crooked River they felt a lot better with some gnarly exits from the river. Even wet coming out of the river they felt pretty grippy. Happy with the first day on the tyres and a close examination of them showed no damage of sorts.

Day 2 saw us head up Upper Dargo Rd to Stock Route track. This one is chopped up reasonably well and although not a long track is a good climb. Mate in the Navara used his locker on this one but I didn't as i felt I had enough grip as was. (In hindsight I should have used bioth lockers just to check they work as they hadn't been used in a while)
Up top on Berrigan Rd it was an easy run back to Dargo. No apparent damage on tyres for day 2 .
Day 3 would be an easy run as it was a scorcher day. A drive back from Dargo to near Stratford and Briagolong back to Dargo via Firestone Creek Rd. I had not aired up for this drive and was still on 20 psi. I had limited my speed to 75 kph but wanted to see hew the tyres would go on the twisty tar rd along the way. Admittedly you would not want to go any lower on the tar as you can hear the tyres working around the bends. A bit more tyre noise whilst cornering makes you take notice of your speed but not once did i feel the car wasn't going to turn in or come out of a corner....just a lot more mud tyre noise.
Easy day out and didn't check the tyres as I felt they wern't abused enough.
Day 4 was Blue Rag day. An easy run up the High Plains rd saw me turn left onto Blue Rag. I hadn't done this track for a year but she is certainly more chopped up nowadays . Pretty straight forward run up to the summit with the rear locker thrown in at the last climb. Checked tyres up top and could not see any bits missing off them.
So a couple of good track for a christening of the tyres. I stopped at Bob Jane Traralgon for the guys to check on the tyres and they seemed happy with the wear. So far very happy with the tyres. Very quiet on road and performed well off road so far.
Will be going away Aust Day Wknd in that area again so some more tracks for these tyres (Gotta do Billy Goat) ahead.

Coming up Stock Route

Checking on the tyres after Stock Route.

Still looking good at this stage.

On top of Blue Rag.
And some video of going up Blue Rag

http://videobam.com/mwFPw
http://videobam.com/LdQbl
Dave

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » January 8th, 2013, 10:37 am

Hi Pickle,

Thanks for the report on the D C tyres, as they come out of Bob Jane I expect that will be a reasonable price, could you post up a price range of the various sizes if you know them, if you have had an experience with Bighorns would you say they compare favorable with those.

Happy Trails.

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » January 8th, 2013, 11:54 am

Err price for the tyres was between me and the dealer.Got good price for an honest appraisel on them. Try ringing a few Bob Jane tyre dealers and see what they come up with on a few different tyre sizes.
As for comparing them with the Maxxis....well I have the Bighorns on my camper trailer but not really a comparison with them not being on the car. I was looking at the Bighorns before the Dick Cepeks come along.
Dave

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » January 28th, 2013, 8:13 am

Another trip away over Australia Day Wknd up in the High Country and although our usual camping area and playground was closed (near Talbotville) we did manage to camp at Italian Flat just out of Dargo and do some tracks on the eastern side there. Plenty of options for short or long days on the tracks with dry and damp conditions thrown in.
Tracks we did over the four days whilst up there was.
Messmate Spur, Murdering Spur, Stock Route, Haunted Stream, Morris Peak, Storer and a fewv minor tracks.
On this trip I dropped the tyre pressure a bit lower ( 18 -19 psi) and it was a definate improvement in the ride.
Tyres performed exceptionally well in all the conditions and I made a point of going out of my way a tad to find some rocks that were liable to do the job on the tyres on Haunted Stream.

On the way home towing a trailer from Dargo the tyres held on well on the wet curves and was really expecting some slippage. I pushed it a bit on the wet corners but wasn't suicidal with a trailer on.
I am confident the Dick Cepeks are as good as everyone brags. They get good reviews in the states and I have tried to kill them off road. The only factor I think will need to be considered with these tyres is the longetivity of them.
Next trip Birdsville :thumb:
A bit of video of Haunted Stream.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l28/p ... VI0069.mp4

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l28/p ... VI0064.mp4
Dave

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » February 18th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Another trip to the High Country and another two days of giving the tyres a good workout. Ran around all weekend on 19psi and found that to be around the right pressure for the weight of my 4x4.

This video dropping down Billy Goat
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l28/p ... PR1100.mp4
and of course tyres worked excepionally well.
Dave

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”