View topic - Pajero tyre pressure

Pajero tyre pressure

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
Been here a while

Pajero tyre pressure

Hi guys, my parents took delivery today of a 2004 Mitsubishi Pajero with the stock alloys etc, what have people found to be the tyre pressure that gives the best tyre life with the stock wheel and tyre combo????

Cheers, JJ

Unread postby junglejuice » August 9th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Part of the furniture

Re: Pajero tyre pressure

I run 38psi all round in mine.
Tyre wear is okay although the Paj is a pretty good handler for a big 4WD so ours tends to get driven in a reasonably spirited manner through the bends. As such, it does like to wear the outer edge of the tyres a little bit. Primarily the LH front - roundabouts will do that :)
My everyday tyres are 'passenger' construction, going to replace them with LT rated tyres next time and hopefully the stiffer sidewalls and stronger construction will help the tyres to wear more evenly.
Don't take this the wrong way though, I am satisfied with the way the tyres wear on my Paj....
I have a 2nd set of rims which are shod with Bighorns. These tyres have been used only for touring / trips away and they have worn perfectly evenly. As the Paj is usually loaded up when I have these tyres on, I bump the pressure up to 40psi.
Cheers, Dan.

Unread postby Aussie_Dan » August 9th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Been here a while

Interesting, I thought the 29psi on the tyre placard was a little optimistic....

Cheers, JJ

Unread postby junglejuice » August 10th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Admin

You could always get your vehicle weighed at the nearest garden/landscaping centre or weighbridge; then visit your local tyre dealer, they should have an Aust Tyre Industry manual with a section in the back that shows what pressure you should put in a tyre of whatever size under your vehicle's weight. ;)

Or if you want to work it out for yourself, you can weigh the car, then check the MAX Load MAX pressure info on the sidewalls of your tyres, multiply the max kg's by 4 to work out the max load the tyres can carry, divide the vehicle weight into the tyres max load, then multiply the max psi by the same figure to get a static recommended pressure for each tyre, then finally add 4psi cos you will be driving & not just sitting in the car while it's parked.

For example, if the vehicle weighs 1800 kgs & the tyres say Max load 900kg at Max 50 psi; then 900 times by 4 equals max tyre load of 3600 kg, 3600 over 1800 = 0.50, therefore multiply (or times) 50 psi by 0.50 = 25 & add 4psi cos you will be driving the car to give you a theoretical psi for your tyres of 29 psi.

So start with 29psi and drive it for an hour, use the 4psi Rule to check & see if your theoretical psi was high or low and adjust accordingly. Ideally you want a 4psi increase after an hours drive, if they pressure increases by MORE than 4psi your start pressure was too low, add more air now; if the increase is LESS than 4psi your start pressure was too high, let some air out now. You should adjust up or down by 1/2 the difference between what your tyre pressure IS and what it SHOULD have been if it only went up 4psi - and you can keep on doing that every hour until the pressure doesn't change any more, but that'll happen only if the road surface, speed, load, weather, etc doesn't change in the meantime - & how many of you drive for more than 2 hours without any of those changing?! Check out the 4PSI Rule thread at the top of the Wheel & Tyre Tech section. ;)

Enjoy
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » August 10th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Part of the furniture

junglejuice wrote:Interesting, I thought the 29psi on the tyre placard was a little optimistic....

Cheers, JJ

I wouldn't trust the placard on any vehicle.....
At 29psi you would be unnecessarily chewing through heaps of extra fuel, tyre wear would be greatly accelerated and handling may be compromised on the road.
29psi would roughly be a good pressure for dirt road driving at up to 80 / 90kph.
How manufacturers come up with these ridiculous recommendations, I do not know.....
Cheers, Dan.

Unread postby Aussie_Dan » August 10th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Need to get out more

The tyre placard is a sales tool.
If the tyres are softer it will give a good ride and enhance the possibility of a sale. During a test drive you probably won't be cornering hard and braking to the max so the softness is good when selling. Not much use for any other situation though.

Unread postby mydmax » August 10th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Been here a while

For my 99 I found between 34F and 36R was perfect with a load of 5 kids and 2 adults with the 4 PSI rule. In the 04 I run 38 all round with the same load. I found each brand of tyre required a different pressure.

Unread postby Earp » August 23rd, 2012, 1:48 pm

Return to Wheel and Tyre