View topic - Tyres PX Ranger - bigger tyres interfere with sensors?

Tyres PX Ranger - bigger tyres interfere with sensors?

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
Getting to know the place

Tyres PX Ranger - bigger tyres interfere with sensors?

Hey Guys and Girls I've just got myself a Px Ranger 2012 and cant say enough about it, however I have run into some confusion as to what tyres i should run on this thing. I'm looking at an aggressive All Terrain like the Goodyear Duratrac or Cooper ST Maxx, this issue is that i have been told by for that i cant go any larger than the standard 265 65 R17, due to sensors??? and was hoping to go up to 265 70 R17 or even 275 70 R17 if they wil fit. Has anyone had any experience with putting bigger tyres on these?
Thanks in advance.
George

Unread postby George87 » February 4th, 2012, 5:38 pm

Need to get out more

Re: Tyres PX Ranger

the stability control and traction control are calibrated based on the standard tyre and suspension setup, and apparently putting in a suspension lift and/or fitting a taller tyre mucks it up....

not that this seems to stop people modding vehicles fitted with electronic traction aids, though they might be running the gauntlet with the transport depts, and therefore their insurance company.....

Unread postby cac » February 4th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Here and there

Cooper st maxx you can go 285/70/17 33in in old terms will fit with no scrubbing and get ford to adjust sensors with computer.
Hope this helps

Unread postby fordwildtrak » February 4th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Oh really??? Which Ford dealer did that adjustment? Might head there as the guys here seem very hesitant to do anything to it! Hows the wildtrack go now that its got the big tyres on it?

Unread postby George87 » February 4th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Here and there

Wildtrak was my old truck
New Px ranger, Still with stock rubber but spoke to cooper rep and a few other guys on here have aready changed to 33s
Spoke to local ford dealer and they said they can adjust the computer for it.
call around, maybe I was told a story, but once these wear down cooper st maxx 33s going straight on and then seeing ford to adjust ssensors as they told me.

Unread postby fordwildtrak » February 4th, 2012, 7:28 pm

hmmm yeah ill have to hassle my dealer a little more and get in touch with some coopers reps then, I took it for a bit of a bash today and im not sure i can wait until these ******* dunlops wear out definitely a credit to the car getting through those muddy sections how it did.

Unread postby George87 » February 4th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Here and there

I don't mind them really
went to stockton beach australia day weekend and was really impressed
have been though mud as well and they hold up.
Are you local to sydney?

Unread postby fordwildtrak » February 4th, 2012, 7:38 pm

yeah they seem like a good sand tyre so i wont be throwing them away! hahah im up in port douglas at the moment for work so i have some pretty snotty muddy stuff close by. All in all been pretty impressed with this rig on and off road particularly the power this thing makes. Have you been able to chase up any other accessories like rock sliders yet?

Unread postby George87 » February 4th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Here and there

Nothing yet
canopy is a wait from ARB
no sliders yet from arb or tjm
I had tjm ones on my 2009 wildtrak loved those
i can wait a while, just upgraded some camping gear, oztent, hotwater shower etc
will have to see TJM and find out whats coming out.
ARB has one bar that i wouldn't mind getting.

Port douglas sounds nice, better than rat race sydney, but at least i can see over everyone else

Unread postby fordwildtrak » February 4th, 2012, 7:52 pm

hahaha yeah that is true always a plus!
yeah i got the ARB on order since mid january expecting march delivery i think its going to solve that puckering moment everytime i think im about to rip the front plastic bar off
yeah ARB are releasing rock sliders later in the year, spoke to TJM they done seem to be as pro active at getting things released as quick but im hoping everything is available by mid this year so i can get some trips planned for dry season.

Unread postby George87 » February 4th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Need to get out more

Re: Tyres PX Ranger - bigger tyres interfere with sensors?

I am a bit confused as to what is being done here re bigger tyres and a Ford fix for the bigger tyres.
I would think the sensors are none adjustable seeing they are a fixed item in the vehicle, the only thing that can be adjusted is the electronic control unit.
This would be a recalibration of the wheel speed sensitivity because the wheel is now rotating slower in relation to the forward speed of the vehicle and requiring greater braking force to be applied by the ABS system for it all to still work properly.
I am surprised that Ford say they can recalibrate it. For them to be able to do this someone in R&D has to have thought of the problem and come up with an altered computer program to be able to be downloaded to your truck. Does it really exist?

Because it is a safety / stabiltiy issue, I would get a written statement from Ford itself, not the dealer because they are only the button pressers on this , to ensure you are on the right side of the law and maintaining your personal safety. Something which will stand up in court.
Just to blindly believe a Ford dealer saying they can adjust it. I would also like to know if it actually does work when they do it and how do you check it is correct, cos you can't see its effects until it works or you crash.

Ah, trust and yes we can do it. Two areas which have caused motorists many heartaches in the past.
I hope it is all true and certification is part of any changes done to your vehicle by a dealer.

mydmax

Unread postby mydmax » February 6th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Yeah I totally agree with what your saying mydmax the issue for me is how unclear everything has been. any modification has implicarions on vehicle stability and essentially everything is a compromise. Every vehicle regardless of computer aids is subject to modifications altering braking perfomance and on road handling ie thos massive lifts you see patrols and cruisers getting around with. My realistic goal is to go up an inch and only slightly in width to gain added traction off road as well as a better quality tyre giving me better performance on road too, as the ones that come on it are terrible to say the least, Dunlop At22. I think im going to hold out until i get a clear answer from ford and see how other people go with these issues. A front bull bar and some rock sliders are definitely on the top of the list before tyres...but then again the sliders need to be approved in the way that they wont impeded the side impact sensors in the event of a crash.
Thanks for all the input keep it coming :)
George

Unread postby George87 » February 6th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Avid Poster

Is this a wives tail or what?

I note that quite a few BT50/Ranger users have upgraded tyres with no issues??

Unread postby foxy » March 13th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Not a wives tale all truth however I have not found any ill effect since fitting 265 70 17 on my ranger. People have fitted 33s without any issues however. The ESP abs and all the other fancy stuff does use a set tyre size for its software so theoretically it won't know that you've changed the tyres which would mean its not as efficient. Also issue of legalities and insurance. But I went something bigger that was reasonable if I had to explain myself :)
Other than that really happy with the goodyears and offload performance of the ranger.
George

Unread postby George87 » March 13th, 2012, 8:57 pm

Been here a while

Wives Tale.

I suppose you are going to tell everyone you have to put the standard Dunlops on otherwise the sensor will go off.
Most new 4x4's have ABS, Traction control etc There has never been a problem with sensors with larger tyres before.

You have no proof sensors go off. it is purely speculation. I have proof everything works as I own the car with larger wheels.

Been running 285/70/17 in my PX ranger for 7500km.
Been running a 50mm lift kit for 2500km
No issues at all.
ABS still works. Car works perfect.
Never had a light come on or any codes.
Car speedo is now 100% accurate.
Car drives better as I thought the gearing was a little low b4.

How do you know the software uses tyre size. what about when your tyre has a different pressure or is worn.
The software might use a calculation on different wheel speeds. So tyre circumference has nothing to do with it.

Also Ford cannot reprogram the ECU for larger tyres. Complete BS.
Last edited by timothy2222 on March 14th, 2012, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby timothy2222 » March 14th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Next

Return to Wheel and Tyre