Gecko rims - how do they perform? Look OK?

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
bert-bt50
Been here a while

Gecko rims - how do they perform? Look OK?

Unread post by bert-bt50 » April 24th, 2011, 6:46 am

Hi all, does anyone have gecko rims? I've never heard of them. How do they perform and do they look ok on your fourby?

Bert

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Re: Gecko rims

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » April 26th, 2011, 8:39 am

>Welcome to Gecko Wheels™< They are a Australia wide distributor that sell Chinese manufactured standard Sunraisers and are like King Wheels etc, but may vary in thickness and quality of material used. If you want a tougher steel rim, go ROH or similar toughened steel. Unless these websites can actually inform people of what they are looking at, it makes choice difficult for the consumer. Saying a product is quality is a pretty generic statement these days without actually stating why other than industry standards.

My experience working with sheet metal from China was that is was inferior to Australian steel, but can't speak for the steel or quenching process they use on these rims. You would need to contact them and make enquiries.

From the site: Gecko Wheels ™ are exceptionally high quality steel wheels designed specifically for the Australian 4x4, Trailer & Campervan markets. They are available in a large range of sizes, offsets and bolt patterns to suit a variety of vehicles, and are attractively finished in Painted White, Painted Black, Silver & Galvanized.

Edited: To reflect broader distributorship than realized.
Last edited by Shaker4x4 on April 28th, 2011, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sim79
Need to get out more

Unread post by Sim79 » April 26th, 2011, 12:20 pm

I have set that mainly get used for offroad, so far no issues, centres are 5mm thick. They look the same as every other steel rim, fugly!

bert-bt50
Been here a while

Unread post by bert-bt50 » April 26th, 2011, 8:13 pm

any chance of a few photos Sim

Bert

Sim79
Need to get out more

Unread post by Sim79 » April 27th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I have none, the landcruiser above has the same as mine.

RobbyM
Here and there

Unread post by RobbyM » April 28th, 2011, 12:41 pm

I work for the Gecko distributor in QLD...

We have had only good results from the product and keep a Large range...

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » April 28th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Queensland too?

What rim size do you have for current Hilux in 16x8" to suit 265/75 or are you only selling 7" like all the others. I was considering an alternative size if I could.

I was going to buy a set of ROH wheels and was thinking of King, then saw these. They are only weekend off-road only wheels for me, but like anyone, they want tuff steel.

Feedback appreciated.

Edit: I contacted Gecko and spoke to Robby, he's going to make some enquires for me. Awesome... If I'm only using them sometimes and are cheap, why not. If I smash one, then no huge loss, buy another.

2nd Edit: Robby helped me out a bit and dug up some info: The 16x8 20P gecko wheel is the prime fitment for the 2010 hilux, Fitted with a 265/75R16 you should have no problems at all. Rated at 1250kg per wheel in the 16x8.

As long as it does not scrub anywhere. 8" is preferable over 7" for a 265 tyre. ROH only do a 16x7" for IFS Hilux and 15x7" or 16x7" for Mazda BT50.

OP: your rims for Mazda BT50 2007+ 6 stud, 139.7, 16x7", 10P offset only for these wheels. Fitment guide here.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » March 6th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Hey guys!

Reviving an old thread to an ongoing currently relevant question on Gecko Rims. Cute name, but can you place your hard earned dollars with them?

Answer is yes and no. I own a set of five 16" x 8" 139.7mm six stud pattern 20p rims. On my Hilux, these rim's generic spigot (center) hole may be slightly off center, and would be the locator hole for the stud hole die, as well as the locator for the final cut/forming of the finished center piece. The likely scenario with two of my rims is the stud pattern is slightly off center. It's difficult to ascertain if the center hub hole is too, but is likely to be the case. So i'm going to order some stainless spigot rings (they have shallow collars that sit behind the rim face so they won't fall out.) The seller of these on Ebay also makes custom sizes if I can't purchase a generic fitment. Without these locating rings, fitting a rim using studs only to centralise the rim can be hit and miss. Sometimes the rim will shudder and create an unbalanced wheel scenario, but it's not. I've had KM2s fitted to these rims, which are mud tyre unbalanced at best, with the same results of not being able to fully balance the tyres. The KM2s being the 2nd rushed production/shipment to be squished into containers that hit our shores saw a couple pushed out of shape too. So it was some time inflated on the rim before they came good, but the rim issue remained. I now have Yokohama AT-S Geolanders fitted to these rims. Same thing again, two of the rims, mostly one bad one is off center. The wheels were balance checked, but are still not right. On the machine you can see the rim has a slight egg in the spin. At the time I purchased these rims, ROH Black Track did not have the size, pattern, or offset I wanted. THEY DO NOW!!! So guess what, no more nasty Chinese surprises. China continues to produce inferior mass produced products, and copies of products that I have grown to hate with great intolerance toward anything they produce, and to think I am considering a TCL TV?!?

We have more options open to us now, and if you can spend a little more on a known quality brand, then do so. The price to pay for cutting costs, and placing faith in Chinese production is much more than buying best to begin with. If you want these rims, you make sure you buy them for much less than a King Wheel for example, and check them for center BEFORE your tyre fitter puts tyres on them. If they wobble even slightly on the outer diameter, reject them ok! Your expectations of these rims should not be high. Otherwise, if you can get a good set, they are fine. They don't control the weld splatter on the inside either, so are rough there.

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”