Cooper ST MAXX

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
Heffacow
Here and there

Re: Cooper ST MAXX

Unread post by Heffacow » April 4th, 2013, 11:13 am

I've now just had the 30000km rotate & align for warranty and I was more than happy 4-6 weeks ago on how these tyres were performing. They were always a bit on the noisy side, a strange sticky noise but nothing to worry about.
Now for the problem. They have become slippery as f*ck in the wet on road. I slow to way below what should be required & still have major issues. I run 32 all round on the reps advice. I used to run 36-38 in my old ST's but they were absolute crap. They chipped severely & were even slippery. The only reason I bought the maxx's was I got a discount with the remaining tread (60%) on the ST's.
I'm going to call my rep today so he can have a drive & if I can I'll b pushing for my $$ back. There is no way I am going to risk running these for another 50000km.

Heffacow
Here and there

Unread post by Heffacow » April 4th, 2013, 11:42 am

I've been advised by the rep to drop the pressures to 28psi & see how that goes. I'll air up a bit in the dry but hopefully this will show what is going on.

RogerAnything
Here and there

Unread post by RogerAnything » April 4th, 2013, 9:42 pm

I found my old STs to get like that after a while. My STmaxxs have done about 25 000km and so far so good. I run 30psi in a light Bravo table top.
I never had no edukation, not never.

Heffacow
Here and there

Unread post by Heffacow » April 5th, 2013, 5:34 am

No good dropping to the 28. It still slipped & slid like a greased up hooker after a night with the footy team. It's way to dangerous to keep these I think.

Any thoughts out there?

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » April 5th, 2013, 11:08 pm

i had the old cooper ats i think on the gu and they were terrible, i lost lugs off those tyres on dirt road driving. have the st maxx now and they are a great tyre, no road noise at all and plenty of grip for an at

Heffacow
Here and there

Unread post by Heffacow » April 10th, 2013, 8:25 pm

I got a hold if the cooper rep today with no thanks to his manager yesterday. Tubbys in Kirrawee have been awesome in every aspect & id go there any day. The rep was good but said I was the first to make this claim against the maxx's. there is always a first...
He offered $$ off some new tyres & said he wouldn't do maxx's again. Dunno if that was because of me being the first or something else? Lucky I wasn't leaning towards them, 2 strikes are enough for me.
I'm now looking at spending cash when I didn't want to & I do t know what to get.
BFG at I used to have we're ok but they don't have a warranty & are an old pattern. Toyos are ok I'm told but aren't as aggressive as I'd like when going off road. Mickey Thompson atz are from the same factory as the maxx's.
I'm not impressed at what has happened to the tyre but everyone but that manager have been fantastic.

crawla
Part of the furniture

Unread post by crawla » April 12th, 2013, 1:22 am

image.jpg
3 months old, set at 35psi.......235/85/16. Have travelled 14 800km on 100% dirt in the Pilbara over Feb/Mar and this month. 80% of the time speed would have been around 80-90km/h. Another 10 000 and they're done I reckon. They run on a cruiser 70 workmate (4.5 V8) with a constant load of about 200kg. Cheers

Edit.......one got a puncture at a around 2500km and was plugged. Unfortunately I never found out what caused the puncture. Up here it could happen to any tyre. Personally after seeing how they compare to a Bridgestone 697LT I would go the 697.
Regarding pressures mining companies do not bother adjusting for terrain, they are always set at the same pressure irrespective of bitumen/dirt/mud etc. Survival of the strongest one could say.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RogerAnything
Here and there

Unread post by RogerAnything » April 15th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Geez, I've never seen tyres chipped that much before!

So do you put new tyres on every three to four months?
I never had no edukation, not never.

crawla
Part of the furniture

Unread post by crawla » April 16th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Yep, if the tyres are stuffed they get changed. The company doesn't usually run coopers though. We needed tyres fast so took the vehicle into Tom Price and had the Coopers put on. I lived up here for 5 years and worked here for nearly ten. During the 5 years up here we travelled extensively throughout the Pilbara and further including the CSR. In 2008 the company was having major problems with punctures. The company then trialled the older Bridgestone 694LTs on about 4 vehicles with instant success......not one puncture. Personally I haven't seen anything tougher than the Bridgestone 697LT which is why I run them on our DMAX. I have seen one mine running 697s on the entire light vehicle fleet.

Edit......by the way as mentioned tyre shop at Tom Price set those Coopers at 35psi. The mine I work at sets the 697s at 40!! If they are getting smashed at 40psi and surviving till baldness imagine how long they will last with someone looking after them and adjusting tyre pressures to suit.

Sim79
Need to get out more

Unread post by Sim79 » April 19th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Heffacow wrote:No good dropping to the 28. It still slipped & slid like a greased up hooker after a night with the footy team. It's way to dangerous to keep these I think.

Any thoughts out there?
This normal for any hard wearing tyre.

Buy a soft tyre and they grip way better and perform better onroad.

Looks like Coopers poor history is repeating its self again with its newest tyre, no surpises there lol!
Few sets of ST Maxx getting replaced under warranty already, with different issues.

Wombat200
Been here a while

Unread post by Wombat200 » May 17th, 2013, 7:27 am

Well, despite having bad experiences with Coopers' ST, I bit the bullet & just fitted the ST Maxx to my PK Ranger, in 245/75-16.

Will be interesting to see how they go. Havn't done many kms, but so far the wet bitumen grip seems pretty good......

XJ buddha
Here and there

Coopers ST/Maxx shocking wear

Unread post by XJ buddha » June 28th, 2013, 6:11 pm

I have just spoken to the tyre dealer that sold me my first set of Coopers ST/MAXX 26000kms ago.
I advised him I had just had a service on my 2012 MN Triton and the service department told me I had very bad uneven tyre wear. Now this is not tyre wear side to side, these tyres are wearing down every second row of lugs at twice the wear of every other row. I have only done ,maybe 500kms offroad, so majority of my driving is road based, and always have my tyres at the correct pressure.
When I told the tyre dealer about this kind of wear he asked if I had a lift kit, to which I replied only a 2" lift. He then proceeded to tell me that I was the 4th person in the last month that was asking about this type of wear on their Coopers ST/MAXX.
He has been told by Coopers that these tyres are not meant for lifted vehicals ,and this is why they are wearing this way.

Has anyone else experienced this type of wear on these tyres. At this rate I wont make 40000kms before they become dangerous.

This will definitely be the last set of Coopers I will ever own!!! :mad:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 28th, 2013, 6:52 pm

That sort of tyre wear is usually indicative of incorrect tyre pressures &/or a fair percentage of relatively high speed bitumen work without regular tyre rotation; and rarely attributable to any sort of suspension lift, altho lifting vehicles does often bring some wheel alignment or suspension setting issues along with it unless it's been done properly, and that can cause some wear issues.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

foxy
Avid Poster

Unread post by foxy » July 27th, 2013, 11:23 am

how are those with these ST/Maxx going a few miles down the track......40 -50k mileage reports??

Wear, noise, chipping, wet handling would be appreciated.... Foxy

gqtrav
Been here a while

Unread post by gqtrav » August 12th, 2013, 3:38 pm

65K on mine on a 150 Prado and still about 40% tread left. They have certianly become more noisy, however the grip level on road has hardly changed. They have been rotated every 10K-15k (when I remember) and run between 35-36psi cold. The only tyre to wear unevenly is whichever tyre is on the front left, however once rotated to another location the wear becomes even again. I would get them again in a heart beat.

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”