Cooper ST MAXX

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
quinny2148
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Cooper ST MAXX

Unread post by quinny2148 » July 23rd, 2012, 5:02 pm

fishwenican I got a quote at jax tyres on 265/70/17 cooper Maxx's $415 each, but would drop it a bit more by fitting 6, as im wanting two spares. they had them......

cbillrun87
I'm new, be nice!

Cooper S/T Maxx...are they any good?

Unread post by cbillrun87 » September 19th, 2012, 11:39 am

G'day guys. i'm looking at getting some Cooper S/T Maxx's and was just wondering what they are like?

Cheers

molezy81
Here and there

Unread post by molezy81 » January 21st, 2013, 11:44 am

Hello Cbill,

If deciding which tyre is the right one for your vehicle. It's hard not to go past the ST MAXX. It is the new and improved tyre that has replaced the ST. The ST MAXX is 66% stronger in the sidewall and over 2.5 times more tear resistant than the old S/T. This extra strength could help you to get home from your outback trip without any damaged tyres. The tyre has also been designed with a chemically bonded silica tread compound.This provides improved wet and dry traction and handling on the highway, while also improving cut‑n‑chip resistance in harsher rocky and gravel terrain. Enhanced shoulder design helps to maximise off‑road traction, due to its self‑cleaning shoulder scallops, while minimising abrasion and damage to the protruding lugs.Guaranteed to last up to 80,000 kms*.
*In capital cities, the S/TMAXX famous mileage guarantee* ranges from 60,000 to 80,000 kms, depending on size.

Molezy

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 21st, 2013, 3:44 pm

molezy81

The ST Maxx might be a good tyre or "tire" as the SepticTanks call it.
With 66% of something stronger in the sidewall and 2.5 times more tear resistance, exactly what is the tyre being compare to. Those features would make it near bullet proof and handy in world trouble stops.

The chemical bonding might be a normal feature of tyres construction as they have to use something to bond bits together and it may represent sales spin rather than commonly used feature in tyres and not something new.

One post a couple of days ago, the owner of ST MAXX, said he had to keep removing the small rocks to stop them drilling into the case and was very disappointed with the stone ejection feature it is claimed to have. Perhaps he is driving on the wrong roads.

As long as you don't use them where they are TV advertised as being able to go and perform, then the warranty may be claimable. ie School runs and "Tourak" touring retains the warranty.

I would be happy to have a set, but I find it is hard to accept what you have said by endorsing with descriptions used in the sales brochures.
I suppose I don't just believe things so easily.
Cheers
mydmax

molezy81
Here and there

Unread post by molezy81 » January 22nd, 2013, 8:25 am

Hello Mydmax,

Yes i did endorse the brand by using the descriptions i found on the cooper website. Only after experiencing the tyres first hand in a number of different locations. I have found the tyres to handle extremely well in all conditions.

On our last trip to Peterborough in SA. The conditions there were quite harsh and pretty rough going. Most of the vehicles that came along for that trip were fitted with ST MAXX or MICKET THOMPSON MTZ's. Both brands did very well and the reports i received was very good. Not one puncture and the tyres all looked pretty good with minor wear.

I was saw the description of the ST MAXX on the website and thought it would be good to give Cbill some thoughts on the ST MAXX.

Cheers Molezy

vxcruiser08
Here and there

Unread post by vxcruiser08 » January 23rd, 2013, 7:45 pm

G'day Guys,

Also looking at these tyres as they appear to be more aggressive than the BFG AT's? Thought I might try something different while i'm at it.

All my mates I camp / 4wd with HATE coopers and have all had bad experiences, but I am still not going to rule them out.

I drive 20kms+ of dirt everyday, so it does concern me with the comment above with stones being pushed into the rubber...

Anyone else drive daily on the dirt roads?

wills
Been here a while

Unread post by wills » January 24th, 2013, 5:20 am

My old mans done about 25k with them on is 100 series and he live's on a dirt road and for a good bit of there life he worked in a quarry and was driving into the quarry every weekday and his never had that problem VXcruiser and yes they are more aggressive then the BFG all terrain cheers :thumb: p.s my old mans run 4 sets of coopers 3 off the old st and this is the 1st of the st maxx and he has never had a flat :truck:

Tornado_ALIVE
Been here a while

Unread post by Tornado_ALIVE » January 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm

I went from BFG AT's to MTZs then ST MAXX. Personally happy with the MAXX and would not go back to either the MTZs or BFG ATs.

The Maxx handles better on road in the wet then both the others and dispite a pretty agressive tread pattern is quiter than both. I was suprised to find they are quiter than the BFGs. In the dry, BFGs and Maxx. The MTZs are not much off a road performer.

Offroad, I could not seperate the Maxx from MTZs in the mud. Some will say the MTZs are better but I have not noticed it. Both are much better than the BFGs.

On sand, the BFGs and Maxx are both good. The MTZ's are not flash.

Wear, BFGs and Maxx wear well. My MTZs wore down fairly quickly. The MAxx also have pretty strong sidewalls

In short, my pick would be for Maxx. BFGs 2nd with the MTZs not far behind the BFGs. I have heard good reports on the BFG KM2s and would been keen to compare them to the Maxx, however since my driving is more sand, gravel and track oriantated and less so mud, the Maxx may still be the better choice for me.

vxcruiser08
Here and there

Unread post by vxcruiser08 » January 25th, 2013, 6:22 am

Thanks for the reviews there guys.

Another question, being such an "aggressive" all terrain, any real difference in fuel between the BFG AT's and MAXX?

Tornado_ALIVE
Been here a while

Unread post by Tornado_ALIVE » January 25th, 2013, 6:27 pm

I ran the BFG's on a Jeep and the Maxx on an Amarok...... The Maxx were MUCH better on fuel. :lol:

RogerAnything
Here and there

Unread post by RogerAnything » January 26th, 2013, 7:52 pm

I'm up to about 20 000km on mine (I've had four services since putting them on) and can't find a single fault with them (225/75/16). Very quiet on road, grip well in wet and dry and seem to get me everywhere I want to go off road. I haven't really tested them in a lot of mud as there hasn't been much mud around the last 6 months with the dry conditions. One thing that really pleases me is how well the truck steers. The old Bravo tabletop is super responsive and is a pleasure to drive. With the tougher sidewalls I have dropped pressures to 30 psi on road, as the Bravo TT is not real heavy, and the tyre still sits up nice and straight and doesn't bag like the old STs did.
I never had no edukation, not never.

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » January 26th, 2013, 8:21 pm

What sort of guarentee is one which gives Up to 80,000 ks, that means the guarentee it will wear out somewhere between 1 klm and 80,000 ks, damn any tyre will do that.!!!!

If they gaurenteed you would get over 80,000 ks with regular wheel alignments then that would be saying something but I am not taken by this rubbish.

Happy Trails.

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

molezy81
Here and there

Unread post by molezy81 » February 22nd, 2013, 11:55 am

David,

When they say that they would last up to 80,000kms*. It means that some sizes in the ST MAXX are guaranteed to last up to 80,000. For example: the 265/75R16 ST MAXX has a mileage warranty of 80,000 while the 245/75R16 ST MAXX has only 60,000 warranty. While some may only be guaranteed to 60,000. Depending on sizes, load index, ply rating and deeper tread wear. As long as you maintain regular (3 to 6 months) tyre rotations & balances, wheel alignments, check your pressures (making sure you adjust the pressures accordingly to the terrain you will be driving in) and also making sure the vehicle is in good working order. By that i mean. The shocks and springs are not leaking or sagging, any control arms or bushes aren't worn, the ride height is even, etc.

Doing all of the above will increase the likelyhood of yourself achieving the guarantee. Driving irresponsibly, heavy foot on the accelerator will decrease the mileage you would get out of your tyres.

The ST MAXX is a brilliant design where the customer can expect to get excellent handling (on & off road), road quietness, excellent mileage and strong durability. The feedback from customers and on forums have been found to be very positive with most if not all (except for a small minority) liking the ST MAXX.

Molezy

uninhibited
Avid Poster

Unread post by uninhibited » March 19th, 2013, 8:29 am

I know these tyres have only been in Oz for a short period but has anyone put >50,000km on them yet?
All knowledge is solvent in alcohol.

Cruising Brit
Been here a while

Unread post by Cruising Brit » March 19th, 2013, 7:55 pm

I've done about 34,000km on the MAXX's. I've found their a great all-round tyre and are very quite on the road. I've "accidently" caught some air time then landed sharp rocks when I took my 2.7 tonne cruiser to Fraser island and they didn't show any sign of chipping. As of yet, I haven't taken them to balanced and what not, but through my own measurements they haven't worn unevenly or for that matter worn at all :confused: . I'm very pleased with these set of tyres and would by them again if I weren't looking at the STT's

CB
4WDing, it's not a Hobby, it's a Passion!!!

FZJ105; 2 inch lift, ST/maxx's, HID/led lights, draws, roof rack, sat nav/entertainment system, 2.5 inch Beaudesert exhaust with pacemaker extractors, green P plates, 3 year old behind the wheel :p

viewtopic.php?f=187&t=146189

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”