Cooper ST MAXX

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
Sim79
Need to get out more

Re: Cooper ST MAXX

Unread post by Sim79 » March 11th, 2012, 9:49 am

Roadwarrior wrote: It makes me wonder if Coopers should have more control over their distributors pricing.
When I ever I buy tyre I never go through the brand distibuter e.g. If I wanted Good Years I DON'T go to a Good Year retailer this normally saves me around $100 per tyre, it works they same with every brand I have tried.

foxy
Avid Poster

Unread post by foxy » March 12th, 2012, 7:51 pm

anymore milage / wear updates on these? I want to get rid of the Craptreks off my BT-50 as soon as possible and love the look o the ST Maxx...... it's these or Geolandar AT-S... both have silica tread so i guess that's why there so quiet.

Put off by the cooper ST history, we had a set on a Triton ute and they scalloped badly and suffered chipping issues. At $1700 a set don't want to be stuck with lemons for three years!!!

So very interested to hear more updates and reviews....

Foxy

RogerAnything
Here and there

Unread post by RogerAnything » March 14th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Hi everyone.

This is my first post. Good thread as these are the tyres I'm thinking of going to next. I'm running the ST at the moment which have been good but slippery on the wet bitumen. I read on another forum that Cooper had changed the Silica compound (is that the right term?) which has improved the STmaxx's grip on wet bitumen.

My only concern with these tyres is how they will perform when half worn down. My STs were great in the mud when new but as they wore down, the gaps between the lugs got smaller, which means they are clogging up with mud now. There is still too much tread on them to replace them yet. I'm wondering if this will be an issue with the STmaxxs as well? I'm considering the STT tyre for this reason also.
I never had no edukation, not never.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 14th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Roger, welcome to the Forum, lots of good info here if you look for it.

Re your ST tyres, what pressures are you running now, in what sized tyre under what vehicle? You might find the wet weather road holding and the mud retention issues you are having atm become somewhat less if you drop your tyre pressures a bit as both those are worsened by running pressures that are higher than optimum - keep within the 4psi rule guidelines and it shouldn't have any bad results for you or them, but could have a heap of benefits for you. ;)

Check out the 4psi rule sticky in the Driving tips and techniques section.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

RogerAnything
Here and there

Unread post by RogerAnything » March 14th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Peter,

Tyres are 225/75R16. Pressure is 34 psi and I must admit that most times I don't drop them when in the bush, as most times I am just driving tracks in the forests while hunting. Vehicle is a Bravo Table Top. I know the rear ends are light with no load in them, but I had other tyres on before the STs and they weren't as slippery as the STs. The STs have improved on the wet bitumen as they have worn down but decreased in performance in the red clay/mud.

I'm not knocking the STs by the way. I adjust my driving in the rain and I'm not a rev head by any means and I expect an unladen table top to be light in the rear end. I'll definately go Coopers again, just not sure if I should go the STmaxx or step up to the STT.

A bit off topic, but I'd love to see a tyre comparison when tyres are worn down a bit. All tyre comparisons I've seen are with brand new tyres. I'd like to see a trye comparison with tyres that are 40-50% worn to see how they perform. Think of the lifespan of tyres on a vehicle. They are only new for the first 6 months and then we use them in a worn state for several years.

Thanks for the welcome by the way.

fishwenican
Avid Poster

Unread post by fishwenican » March 28th, 2012, 5:55 pm

I honestly cant believe STILL.....
that there is this imaginary fault on ALL cooper tyres like some here try to imply....
I have had 2 sets of coopers on the GU recently ST`s.
I have friends who have coopers on their 4wds aand have for many years with not one single issue on any of them.
So All the other tyre brands are soooooo friggin perfect huh ?????????
I would now like to buy a set of these Maxx`s, but a tyre power here in Adelaide quoted me $450 each.....
Am still laughing.....The saleman even said they dont make a 265 / 70 / 17 tyre...funny that the websdite says otherwise.
Any other prices from here in lil ol adelaide that anyone has ???

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 28th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Roger, you really can't make comparisons to what other tyres do/have done for you and the pressures they need/needed, cos there are so many things that can be different that you need to work out the optimum pressure for the tyres you have now and the conditions you are driving in.

Cooper ST's are renowned for being a fairly long wearing tyre, which implies a harder compound than in some other tyres, and that means for bitumen, especially for WET bitumen, you'll probably need to drop their pressures just a bit more than you might have done for a softer compound tyre to get the same traction - add to that the light rear end on the vehicle and you might be surprised at the improvement you'll get from dropping them a little more. And again due to that compound, you'll probly need to drop them more off road to get the best traction and to avoid the chipping etc that some complain about - but run any tyre at too high a pressure off road and it will chip & skip/slip, some just need to go to a lower pressure than others, and that's generally the tyres that will wear longest given the right treatment!

There again, tyre pressures are just one of the variables that you as a driver have control over, altho there are a heap of others you can't do anything about. But if you find your tyres aren't handling well on the wet bitumen with poor traction, instead of dropping their pressure a bit you could always leave the pressure the same but slow down a bit instead :D Similarly, when you are off road hunting or changing from one surface to another a lot, if you don't want to get out and vary your tyre pressures to suit and minimise the risk of punctures, maximising the wear and traction at the same time, you could slow down or speed up a bit and still get all the same benefits - it doesn't usually take most people all that long to work out how to get pretty close to getting that right, and the 4psi increase thing lets you confirm how close you are to 'right'. You could also vary the load (less load needs lower pressure in the tyres to carry it - but people get upset if you leave them or their gear by the side of the road when it gets rougher/slipperier) or maybe even drive a bit less aggressively, smoothing out your steering and braking (smooth driving always benefits tyre life & traction!) But most people find it's easier to drop/vary the pressures a bit and spend that little bit of time checking to see if what you've gone to is right or close to right for your tyres, load, the conditions, etc - or you could change nothing at all from what you do now and just keep complaining about the lack of traction and the worse wear that will result, but that's your choice! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » March 30th, 2012, 1:12 pm

A mate just got some Cooper ST tyres and at first I thought OH-NO should have gone the STT. After spending a weekend at LCMP (rocky and hilly) I was quite impressed and there was NO issues with traction throughout the weekend, no chipping at all (running 20psi on his 105).
Now all I have to do is get him into the black mud to see how they go there.
My MTZs also at 20psi on my 105 suffered a little more chipping then I would have liked. I ran all my climbs as slow as I could with reduction gears and lockers, but still had chipping. Next time will try dropping even further to 16psi to see how they go.
Always learning :rolleyes:

RogerAnything
Here and there

Unread post by RogerAnything » March 30th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Peter.

Not sure I was complaining, more just stating a fact. And I've just bought an air compressor so I'll start playing with the tyre pressure a bit more.

For those who have run the new STmaxx and the old ST, is the STmaxx a huge improvement over the older version? Does it give more grip in the mud?

Thanks.

foxy
Avid Poster

Unread post by foxy » March 30th, 2012, 8:53 pm

I am still really keen to hear reports from those with 20,000 + kms on these regarding noise and tyre condition..... anyone?

Moya
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Moya » April 12th, 2012, 9:26 pm

I have a set of 285/75/16 ST Maxx's on my GU ute and so far after 5'000k's they have impressed me, have mainly been on the black stuff but have had a very heavy load on and have had no dramas even when wet. I run 50psi on the rear and 40 on the front when loaded and 38 all round when not. They handle heaps better than I expected. Very good on gravel roads too. Carnt wait to get onto some tracks to really test them out.

I got mine for $400 each fitted from Meadows Wheel n Rim in SA which was $30 a tyre better than the bigger places!

wills
Been here a while

Unread post by wills » April 13th, 2012, 9:33 pm

RogerAnything wrote:.....For those who have run the new STmaxx and the old ST, is the STmaxx a huge improvement over the older version? Does it give more grip in the mud? ....
my old man has the new ST Maxx 285/75R16 he had the old ST's on it before so far his done about 17 000km on them noise there nosier then the old ST's and nosier then my 100km old KM2's on road he hasn't broke traction in the 100 series wet or dry and he drives pretty hard for mud there better then the old ST by a little. bit of a bigger gap between the outer lugs and the side biters on it actually do work a bit gravel there good sand i cant comment as we don't do beach work but a bloke i work with has a 07 4.8 GU and he does allot of beach work and he has the ST maxx 285/70R17 and he says there good in the sand i would of gone the st maxx but i wanted muddies on my 60

oi_dan_patrol
Been here a while

Cooper S/T Maxx tyres

Unread post by oi_dan_patrol » July 14th, 2012, 10:25 am

G'day

Long story short some ******** slashed 2 tyres on the misses D40 in cardwell last night. I prefer BF Goodrich tyres but theres is a wait on the A/Ts at the moment. The tyre shop in Tully is going to get the car going with some 2nd hand tyres for the weekend and can get some Cooper ST Maxx tyres in early next week. Before I commit to these are they any good in the long run? have heard on the grape vein that they have started to peel after about 30,000km's out west.

Alternative is I can get some KM2's for it.

Honest opinions welcomed.

Cheers

Danny

rat patrol
Need to get out more

Unread post by rat patrol » July 14th, 2012, 5:32 pm

fishwenican wrote:I honestly cant believe STILL.....
that there is this imaginary fault on ALL cooper tyres like some here try to imply....
I have had 2 sets of coopers on the GU recently ST`s.
I have friends who have coopers on their 4wds aand have for many years with not one single issue on any of them.
So All the other tyre brands are soooooo friggin perfect huh ?????????
I would now like to buy a set of these Maxx`s, but a tyre power here in Adelaide quoted me $450 each.....
Am still laughing.....The saleman even said they dont make a 265 / 70 / 17 tyre...funny that the websdite says otherwise.
Any other prices from here in lil ol adelaide that anyone has ???

I'm with you mate, I have had 7 sets of ST's over the last 11 years, On all but one set I got more than 100,000ks and on average at least 40% of ks on each set was off road or dirt road touring, alos included a couple of 4x4 comps at rover Park's Battle of the states
I have NEVER changed a tyre on the road, the only flat tyre I ever got was in a work shop to get a wheel alingment picked up a friggin screw.
Now the one set that did not get to 100.000ks had a issue at about 70,000ks were the tread block were tearing and because I alway had my tyers rotated and balanced and alinged every 10,000ks at Fourbys here in Brissy I got a 50% prorata warranty so after doing 70,000ks I got a new set fitted and balanced for half price :D :D . I was more than happy with that.
I am going to give the ST maxxx a go soon I still think that the Copper tyre is up there as one of the best tyers on the market. And as a bit of a plug for Ryano and the boys at Fourby's they have alway gone that extra mile to help in any way.
Cheers
Rat

RogerAnything
Here and there

Unread post by RogerAnything » July 15th, 2012, 2:41 pm

I've put a set of STmaxx's on my Bravo (225/75R16) and have clocked up about 6 000km on them now. They are a great tyre in my opinion. They are great on wet bitumen and grip really well. Going around a round-a-bout in the wet, I can feel the tyres gripping, even when I give the throttle a little bit more. I am very happy with them at the moment.

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”