Cooper ST MAXX

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
Wombat200
Been here a while

Re: Cooper ST MAXX

Unread post by Wombat200 » August 28th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Another update on my Cooper ST Maxx, as fitted to my 2010 PK Ranger, in 245/75-16.

Done a bit over 20,000 now. Showing minor signs of uneven wear on the front, but I'm thinking it might be worn front shocks contributing to this. rears have been fine & I will rotate them shortly.

Performance on road has been excellent for such an aggressive tyre. Pushing hard on winding wet bitumen has seen no scares or suprises.

They have been great on greasy mud tracks, and have used them on a little red clay with impressive results. Have not tried deep bogs or thick mud.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to try them over a few days through knee-deep snow, some fresh-fallen & dry, and at times deep, wet icy slush. The ST Maxx has performed brilliantly in every situation. And I say that as someone whose previous experience with Coopers was not good - I had to really be convinced to buy these.

I think for someone who still does a lot of bitumen work, but wants a good off-road touring tyre, these really fit the bill.

RogerAnything
Here and there

Unread post by RogerAnything » August 31st, 2014, 7:59 am

An update on my STmaxxs. On the previous page I wrote how two of my STmaxxs split around the bead at 39 000km late last year. Well guess what? Eight weeks ago while washing the truck I noticed another one has split in the exact same spot. It has splits around the bead about eight inches long. The tyre had 12 000km on it at that stage. Still waiting eight weeks later to see what Cooper are going to do about it.
I never had no edukation, not never.

wills
Been here a while

Unread post by wills » August 31st, 2014, 6:14 pm

up date on my old mans ST maxx's onto his second set and not 1 problem

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » March 11th, 2015, 8:08 pm

just bought a set. dude said, since they have quite a tough sidewall, dont run them below 25. or its a great way to wreck them.
will see how i go.

stamps
Here and there

Unread post by stamps » May 8th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Don't run them below 25 psi? What about sand driving running at around 15 psi most of the time.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » September 29th, 2015, 8:47 pm

only going off what he said. he reckon anything below 25 will wreck them. the side wall is too tough to be that flexible.
what are you going for st maxs for if you do lots of sand, better off with a softer tyre

molezy81
Here and there

Unread post by molezy81 » October 8th, 2015, 11:52 am

jfoldbar wrote:just bought a set. dude said, since they have quite a tough sidewall, dont run them below 25. or its a great way to wreck them.
will see how i go.
Hi jfoldbar. I work for the distributors of Coopers and I can honestly say the ST MAXX's construction overall will allow any person using the tyres whether it be on sand, rocks, or mud to be able to reduce the pressures below 25psi. Of course you need to take into account the size of the vehicle, the weight of the vehicle (loaded or un-loaded/towing, etc) and also the size of the tyre. The ST MAXX steel belt construction (especially on the side walls) is much thicker (denier thickness) than any of our major competitors. For example; my boss and I took several of our customers away to Robe for a dealer weekend and we did quite alot of sand dune driving, especially on the track between Robe and Beachport. There are sections along the beach where the sand is quite soft and you could get yourself bogged very quickly. We were driving in a 2009 Toyota SR Hilux with a 2 inch lift and 265/70R17 ST MAXX's on them. We had the tyres down to 12 PSI and we didn't get bogged once. Floated on top of the sand and had an awesome experience. Some of the 4wd's that were with us had Kumho's and Toyo's on and had PSI's of 18-20 and they found themselves bogged a couple of times.

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”