Cooper ST MAXX

Advice on the right rolling stock for your 4WD
smokescreen
Need to get out more

Cooper ST MAXX

Unread post by smokescreen » March 30th, 2011, 8:35 am

I see Cooper tyres have a replacement for the woeful ST C which was prone to chipping. Lets hope this tyres better quality and a reasonable price when it hits Australia. It looks like a good compromise between the ST and the STT otherwise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2000 GU Patrol TD4.2T ute
2013 GXL 200 Series TTD Diesel Landcruiser
2012 Can Am XMR 800

75tank
Been here a while

Re: Cooper ST MAXX

Unread post by 75tank » March 31st, 2011, 9:21 am

Do you reakon those side lugs would do anything or are they ther for looks?

smokescreen
Need to get out more

Unread post by smokescreen » March 31st, 2011, 10:11 am

I think there pretend side lugs so those guys cruising around the city can feel a little hardcore :)
2000 GU Patrol TD4.2T ute
2013 GXL 200 Series TTD Diesel Landcruiser
2012 Can Am XMR 800

75tank
Been here a while

Unread post by 75tank » March 31st, 2011, 10:24 am

hehe! :)

Burko
Been here a while

Unread post by Burko » June 7th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Just ordered a set of these for one of the work troopies.

does a lot of K's of dirt and mine site/ exploration stuff.

Be interesting to see how they go, normally run more aggressive tyres like wrangler MTR or cooper stt. So long HWY stints should be more pleasant.

calibrated
Avid Poster

Unread post by calibrated » June 8th, 2011, 9:15 pm

I wanted to get a set..

until I was quoted by several places that they are more expensive than STT's..

I dont get it. they are supposed to be in between the ST and the STT, yet they are more expensive than the STT...
VW Amarok Trendline
http://www.ausamarok.com.au - Amarok Club Australia
http://www.wolf4x4.com.au - 4WD Accessories

tock
Here and there

Unread post by tock » June 13th, 2011, 12:47 pm

My uncle got a set for a 200 series and did a trip out to the big rock and back for like three weeks and he reckons they are the best tire he has ever used.

He does do more of the desert driving and not really heavy stuff but he loves them atm but i guess time will tell.
Sign Here

DiscoMark
Here and there

Unread post by DiscoMark » July 11th, 2011, 6:10 pm

calibrated wrote:I wanted to get a set..

until I was quoted by several places that they are more expensive than STT's..

I dont get it. they are supposed to be in between the ST and the STT, yet they are more expensive than the STT...

Where abouts are you?

I just got quoted a set in 225/75/16 at $250 a corner from Tempe Tyres in Sydney and fingers crossed will get them fitted tomorrow. They had STT's at the same price. They ship nation wide for quite a reasonable price. They do really prices on all their tyres well worth a call.

Don
Here and there

Unread post by Don » July 17th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Need a new set of tyres shortly for the Patrol (750-16 on split rims) and want something more agressive than a A/T but less than a M/T as i am doing lots of klms at the moment and in the future on steep,winding,wet sealed roads but still want something with a bit of lug

Have stayed away from Coopers previously because of what seems to ba a large amount of negetive feedback on the net regarding the S/T tearing lugs off and slippery in wet weather on sealed roads when partly worn but looked at the new S/T Maxx yeaterday (235/85 16) and it looks something like what i am after

Is anyone using these yet and any thoughts would be appreciated

Regards Don

wills
Been here a while

Unread post by wills » July 25th, 2011, 5:58 pm

I have cooper ST's on my 60 this is my 3RD swet and wouldent go any thing else never had a puncter and to me there good in the wet my dad also runs them on his 100 series and hwe loves them 2. the ST maxx'es look like a good tyre alot of people are buying them sold 9 sets already at my work but thwey seem to be abit expensive

DiscoMark
Here and there

Unread post by DiscoMark » July 25th, 2011, 6:10 pm

I've had these for a couple of weeks now. And with Sydney's wet weather in the last week it was a good test for them on the wet black stuff. Performed a treat. I covered a good couple of hundred kms in the wet and no problems at all. Pulled up well, cornered well I couldn't falt them.

I'm giving them their first off road trial in a couple of weeks so i'll let you know how they go then

mark

HardCharger
Been here a while

Unread post by HardCharger » August 1st, 2011, 3:55 pm

Please do let us know as I'm considering on getting a set.

As per the specs on the website, the S/T MAXXs do better in some aspects than the STT while the other stats are comparable.

becjm777
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by becjm777 » August 1st, 2011, 10:03 pm

DiscoMark wrote:I've had these for a couple of weeks now. And with Sydney's wet weather in the last week it was a good test for them on the wet black stuff. Performed a treat. I covered a good couple of hundred kms in the wet and no problems at all. Pulled up well, cornered well I couldn't falt them.

I'm giving them their first off road trial in a couple of weeks so i'll let you know how they go then

mark
What size Did you get?
Im trying to decide at the moment l wish they did a 265 70 16

DiscoMark
Here and there

Unread post by DiscoMark » August 10th, 2011, 12:12 pm

I went with 225/75/R16 as they were a good fit for the Disco without the need for further mods at this time. The side lugs are a bit chunkier in person then the pics show.

I took them down to the snow this last weekend. On road for a 400km odd trip I found them quite and really responsive and a nice ride as well.

On a wet muddy slippery paddock sloping paddock block there were no problems with grip as one would hope.

So far really impressed. I'm off to Ourimbah this weekend so another more difficult test should be able to give some better feedback then.

HardCharger
Been here a while

Unread post by HardCharger » August 10th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Great news! Keep us posted! :drink:

If anyone else would like to share their experience with the tire, please, feel free to chime in! :thumb:

Return to “Wheel and Tyre”