Does this seem feasible for Distribution and fuse blocks?

Get your electrical juices flowing - ask those auto electrical questions here
cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Does this seem feasible for Distribution and fuse blocks?

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 31st, 2018, 6:07 pm

Hi All,

Currently in the process of tidying up the inside of my hilux, part of this will be installing a 2nd Aux battery to run accessories and providing some circuit protection and security. I am hoping i can get some input or suggestions for my proposed set-up, or if i am overlooking anything what i should think about.

I was planning to run a dual battery in the engine bay, a battey isolator also in the engine bay, and then run the 2nd battery to the power distribution block behind the back seat with 4 gauge.

The power distribution block will then feed a fuse block, an audio amp, and i want to have two plug outs for an anderson plugs, one at the rear for camper and one in the tray for future proofing.
The fuse block will then cater for CD player, air compressor and any other electrics i wish to run inside the cab, not sure on the gauge for the fuse block, but would likely use similar gauge to the CD player factory harness etc.

As well as this i want to run a battery kill switch for both batteries in the cab, so i am able to shut off main circuit (alternator / starting / uhf) for safety / security and also ease of working on (can simply just disconnect battery without going into engine bay) , and also the aux circuit (accessories) so in the event i get stuck in water i can simply kill my internal accessories, or if i need to change fuses i can safely kill the circuit.

Does this seem feasible? anyone run something similar?

Show us your electrical set-ups :drink: :thumb:

Cheers

Cuzza

cbd
Here and there

Re: Does this seem feasible for Distribution and fuse blocks?

Unread post by cbd » July 31st, 2018, 7:37 pm

G'day
https://www.jaycar.com.au/search?text=1 ... 6a2e1842cf
Ive got one of these to include in my 2nd battery set up. It also can be used as a switch as well

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » August 3rd, 2018, 6:08 pm

that looks pretty similar to what i was thinking CBD, cheers! Think i have the inside of the cab planned out.

Can anyone advise if running a battery charger (redarc bcdc or similar) would be ok to continuously run a fridge while i was camping, in combination with solar panel / trickle charger (basically constantly running aux battery) so when i am stationary i can either hook up panels or plug in?

This would be ideal for me, as i can run an anderson plug to my tray / trailer from the power distribution block for fridge, and have the charger returning charge to the aux battery while i'm parked. When i am not camping i can simply unplug the fridge and panels and let the car do the charging.

i think this would also give flexibility to run an inverter in the tray for things like a kettle etc and still be able to be plugged into caravan park mains / solar panels to keep batteries charged.

Just not sure if i should have a dedicated 240v mains charger, or if there are chargers that do all three (car charge, solar charge, 240v charge)

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » August 3rd, 2018, 9:40 pm

G'day Cuzza
Again another link
http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/dual_bat.htm
I found this pretty easy to understand

Return to “Electrical”