Light bar install stopped spotties from working.

Get your electrical juices flowing - ask those auto electrical questions here
Curtly
Avid Poster

Light bar install stopped spotties from working.

Unread post by Curtly » May 9th, 2018, 1:59 pm

hey guys......

I'm chasing some general info.......I installed a light bar using it's own dedicated wiring harness and now the spotties have stopped working.

Did a wires check and noticed that the wires to the fuse holder were breaking so I replaced the fuse bracket. I have power at the switch in the car, the relay clicks when turned on just nothing at the lights. I'm really confused.
2005 GUIV Patrol: UHF, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce Strikers, TJM IBS Dual Battery System, Hema HN5i, Rhino Heavy Duty Racks, Safari Snorkel, DIY Drawers, Tough Dog 2" lift, Maxxis Bighorn 33's.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Light bar install stopped spotties from working.

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 9th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Are you sure you didn't leave the power supply to the relay connection disconnected from the battery terminal when you added the power lead for the light bar?? Or maybe it's the earth from the spot relay that you've left off?!? I usually don't discriminate too much, & leave one or the other off at random just to give me an ulcer trying to track down the problem - a problem that invariably ends up simply being matter of leaving one of the wires that I took off a battery post when I added the new one hanging free somewhere; or maybe even tucked clear of the battery so it couldn't accidentally short out while I was adding the new connections!! :o

Besides, if the relay is clicking, then you hafta assume the spot light switch is working, but for some reason you aren't getting power to the spots from the relay... so it sounds like the 'battery + terminal to relay to spot lights to earth or battery - terminal' circuit has been broken; which generally means one of the battery terminal connectors is no longer attached or the relay itself has just coincidentally given up!

Good Luck! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Electrical”