After opinions on my 12v design? Anyone interested?

Get your electrical juices flowing - ask those auto electrical questions here
stormers15
I'm new, be nice!

After opinions on my 12v design? Anyone interested?

Unread post by stormers15 » August 11th, 2016, 7:55 pm

Hi

I am desperately keen to get a 12V setup in the back of my Landcruier 200 series. I have build my own drawers and now want to use the "wing" spaces to set up a 12v "board" on one side and a inverter and 240V outlet on the other side. I have done lots of reading on 12v systems and have "designed" my own one. Will some one on this forum be willing to give me his/her opinion on what I have done, please?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: After opinions on my 12v design? Anyone interested?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 11th, 2016, 8:36 pm

Hi Stormers, I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions & maybe even some helpful comments if you give us some reasonable detail about what you've done & what you're wanting from it?? ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

stormers15
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by stormers15 » August 12th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Ok, here we go. If you have a quiet chuckle about my drawings, you owe me a beer. I am not a designer at all, my kids are. I am only a vet. Cheers!
Design Jpeg.jpg
Design Jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stormers15
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by stormers15 » August 12th, 2016, 7:31 pm

design1.jpg
I think previous picture poor quality. Can you look at this one, please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » August 15th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Id say 26mm2 is bit overkill for one, it will be difficult to get lugs suitable to join 26mm2 to your fuse panel and you will want a stranded cable as well no house type wires. prob really only need 6b&s or 4b&s. but otherwise it should be ok as is.

stormers15
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by stormers15 » August 16th, 2016, 9:41 am

Thank you very much! The only reason I chose the 26 sq mm was for voltage drop. Really appreciate you help, Muckinhell!

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Re: After opinions on my 12v design? Anyone interes

Unread post by Dmaxqld » August 16th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Couple of things. Fuses are to protect the cable so fuse according to the cable's rated capacity or the component in your circuit with the lowest capacity, e.g. 50 amp Anderson plug. Any appliances are protected by the fuses in the fuse block or its own inbuilt fuse.
The inverter's manual will suggest an appropriate size for the fuse in its supply cable, use the recommended size.
The Ctek 250 will accept an unregulated solar input. Would be better to insert a couple of Anderson plugs on your solar panels to bypass the built in regulator and feed direct to the Ctek. This way any voltage loss will be less after the regulator. A bypass of the panel's built in regulator allows you to use the panels elsewhere.
And yeah, 6B&S or 16mm2 solar cable would be sufficient for your setup.

stormers15
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by stormers15 » August 16th, 2016, 8:26 pm

Cheers mate
2 questions: So what you mean is that I set up my solar panel so I have an Anderson plug between the built in regulator and the panel itself. I can then either connect the solar panels with the in line regulator if needed or directly with another Anderson to the Ctek? Clever idea! Def will do that if that is what you suggest.
Also, do you trust the "resettable" fuses or do you guys use the standard ANL fuses and inline holders?

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » August 16th, 2016, 10:05 pm

Yes. You will need 4 Anderson plugs to bypass the regulator if the cable from the regulator on the back of the panels is hard wired in. Cut the cable going into the regulator and add 2 APs. Cut the cable coming out of the regulator and add the other 2 APs. Now you cab bypass the regulator on the panels and go direct with the panel's 17 or 18 volts direct to the Ctek. Less voltage drop that way. Can also use thinner cable.
For what you are doing, resettable circuit breakers are OK. Or use fuses. Either or.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » August 16th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Also, a good place to buy all your stuff is autoelecau on ebay. They have a Victorian store if you live nearby but post for free. Bought heaps off them and can recommend. Nothing more than a happy customer.

stormers15
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by stormers15 » August 17th, 2016, 6:30 pm

Thanks! I did discover autoelec in my internet searches and have ordered some of my stuff from there.

Return to “Electrical”