Need to get controller socket off Old Style Ironman Winch?

Get your electrical juices flowing - ask those auto electrical questions here
BSP4WD
Been here a while

Need to get controller socket off Old Style Ironman Winch?

Unread post by BSP4WD » August 27th, 2013, 7:39 pm

Hi :)

I recently noticed that the remote lead controller plug socket at the front of the control box where the screw goes on my older style Ironman Monster 9500lb winch had cracked right through. Nothing has hit the box but to me it appears to have been tightened to much from the factory or the twits who installed it have caused the issue :evil:
I went to an Ironman rep on the Gold Coast, and with no issues at all Ironman have sent the replacement part through. I went to remove the broken part this afternoon and I've struck a bit of a hurdle which I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help me with.

1.) Does anyone know if there are nuts on the back of the two screws on the inside of the control box?
2.) The 3 x wires at the back of the remote lead controller socket, I'm guessing these need to be cut and resoldered on not just pull off type wires?

I tried to remove the broken part (and I did succeed) but it wasn't easy to get the two screws out but I couldn't hear any nuts drop off into the control box. There is seriously limited room, so limited in fact I think the bulbar would need to be dropped to gain proper access to the control box so any help in reattaching the socket part to the control box would be greatly appreciated as I really don't think I can get the cover off the control box should those two screws require nuts.

I hope the attached photos will be of some help

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Wombat200
Been here a while

Re: Need to get controller socket off Old Style Ironman Winc

Unread post by Wombat200 » August 29th, 2013, 7:12 pm

I'd be suprised if you can replace the socket easily without accessing the control box, but good luck :)

The wires are probably push-on terminals. They might be soldered, but that would be unusual from a manufacturing point of view. Either way it won't be too difficult.

Unsure about your missing nuts, but you can always just run the screw back in & see if it pulls up - if it just spins, you've got your answer.

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » September 1st, 2013, 6:59 pm

Mate I recon there are nuts.....look at the screws you took out...parallel thread.....hmmm there are nuts, they may be holding on by a bit of glue....good luck buddy :ooh: .

cheers

trip01
Here and there

Unread post by trip01 » April 14th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Broken ironman winch control box socket here also. Broke on its own, no force. :crazy:

There are nuts inside and connections are soldered and heat shrunk.

For quick fix I made a metal collar with thin .94mm steel plate so plug goes right down to connect. 20mm step drill. Sika 'd together for waterproofing. Have tested and works ok. :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind Rgds
Dave
Isuzu D-Max 2012, SX Space cab chas, auto, u/floor sound proofing, trip batts, ext fuel filler hose, munji, catchcan, couplertech rust, h/top canopy, under tray boxes, 63ltr water tank, pump, 265 70 17, 30mm lift.

Return to “Electrical”