View topic - Negative switched headlights + spotties = headache

Negative switched headlights + spotties = headache

Get your electrical juices flowing - ask those auto electrical questions here
Part of the furniture

Negative switched headlights + spotties = headache

I want to put some spotties on the Chal tomorrow and i was under the bonnet getting relays and switch wires sorted. It got pretty confusing!.so i got on the forum and done a bit of a search..... SO!, I have just got my head around the whole Negative switched concept (never seen this before).

The question i have is: when the spotties are all wired up, how do i get the LED in the rocker switch to illuminate WHEN THE SPOTTIES ARE TURNED ON, because the switch is made for positive switched systems, if i were to just run it to ground as the switch diagram suggests the LED would illuminate whenever the headlights are on regardless of hi/lo beam because the 12v common active will always be energising the switch.

Would it work if i loop the ground wire for the LED to the load wire (witch in this case would be going to negative on the headlight).

Im sorry if i have confused anyone. if you have fiddled with negative switching you'll know what im getting at.

I think my idea would work but i just wanted to throw it out there before i try it

thank you in advance!.

Avagood1, Moony.

Unread postby Mooney » January 13th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Negative switched headlights + spotties = headache

wire the switch opposite to instructions..

if the spotlight switch is on a negative wire, you need
(-) supply................ (-) load....................... (+) for lamp
if on a posative wire it will be as instructed
(+) supply ................(+) load .......................(-) for lamp
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

Unread postby toy yoda » January 13th, 2011, 10:33 pm

toy yoda wrote:wire the switch opposite to instructions..

if the spotlight switch is on a negative wire, you need
(-) supply................ (-) load....................... (+) for lamp
if on a posative wire it will be as instructed
(+) supply ................(+) load .......................(-) for lamp

Theoretically that should not / would not work as LEDs are a diode and will only allow current in one direction and most switches have the LED wired for a positive switching scenario where there is +12v on the load terminal and -ve or ground on the lamp terminal.

Toyodas scenario would work if there were 2 LEDs wired in opposite directions to each other internally within the switch.

In saying that I should test some LED switches that I have in stock ...

The other way is to grab a non LED switch with good old fashioned incandesant lamp and that will work with neg switching
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postby SimHilux » January 13th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Part of the furniture

Righto... got it sorted!.

as you said SimHilux, the LED is a diode, thats why i didnt even consider running an active to it.

I just done it as per my theory in my first post, but instead of looping the LED ground to the load wire witch would then go through the relay to the hi beam nuteral, I ran the LED ground directly to the hi beam nuteral. So now it will energise the LED when the hi beam is turned on. WORKS A TREAT!.

If anyone is a little confused and wants me to draw up a wiring diagram, let me know, i would be happy to help out.

Have a good weekend everyone, Moony.

Unread postby Mooney » January 14th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Getting to know the place

I have an 80 and it is negt switched as well. Should I just use the neg side of the high beam light to switch it on and off. will my switch be overloaded.???

Unread postby 80jack » January 28th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Need to get out more

Use the negative switched contact form the lights to activate a relay. So neg from lights goes to neg on relay coil. Then positive of relay coil goes directly to positive on battery. Then wire up your lights through the relay like you would normally. So one pin from the relay contacts goes to positive on battery and other side of relay contact runs to lights being fitted.

Unread postby ERASER » January 28th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Part of the furniture

ERASER wrote:Use the negative switched contact form the lights to activate a relay. So neg from lights goes to neg on relay coil. Then positive of relay coil goes directly to positive on battery. Then wire up your lights through the relay like you would normally. So one pin from the relay contacts goes to positive on battery and other side of relay contact runs to lights being fitted.

Is that how your spotties are wired up ERASER?. I toyed with the idea of wiring mine this way but was unsure if it worked.

Cheers, Moony.

Unread postby Mooney » January 31st, 2011, 6:15 pm

Need to get out more

Thats how i wire neg switched lights. Just negative switch the relay from the headlights, rest is same. Done it plenty of times.

Unread postby ERASER » January 31st, 2011, 6:20 pm

Getting to know the place

Can any body tell mme where to ook on my 92 model 80 TD series for the neg switch wire from the high beam and acolour may help! Got em all hooked up just need to plumb in the switchy wire.

Unread postby 80jack » February 6th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Part of the furniture

the wire colours i have listed may not be correct for your vehicle, but the configuration should be the same

I hope this helps mate.

Cheers, Moony.

Unread postby Mooney » February 6th, 2011, 8:49 pm

Return to Electrical