After 5L Gearbox Advice - replace the G52 or fit an R151?

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
03hiluxnewb
I'm new, be nice!

After 5L Gearbox Advice - replace the G52 or fit an R151?

Unread post by 03hiluxnewb » July 25th, 2018, 5:56 am

Hi all,
Very new here but I have read a heap on the site regarding the G52 and R151 gearbox swaps but I still am unsure as to what the best scenario would be for my situation.
I just recently purchased an LN167 03 Dual cab. It has a 5L 3.0L Diesel engine.
The gearbox has basically lost 5th gear, all the other gears seem to be fine, except 3rd which is a little louder than 1st, 2nd and 4th. 5th is so loud you can't drive it for more than a min before having to drop back to 4th.
My plans for the car is to put it to work, I don't have any immediate plans on too much hardcore 4w4ing, I just need a good solid work truck which will be used for loading up with heavy loads and used for towing a trailer.
I have read that one of the more common gearbox replacements is putting in the R151, but do you think that would be necessary for what I plan to do with my car or do you think putting back a G52 would be sufficient for my needs.
The guy who sold me the car said he done 5th while towing an empty dual axle trailer.
I understand that towing in 5th is a no-no as well as driving around in 5th under 100kmh isn't a good idea either.
What do you all think?
G52 or R151?
Thanks in advance...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: After 5L Gearbox Advice - replace the G52 or fit an R151?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 26th, 2018, 11:52 am

That 'towing in 5th' thing is a trap for young players, and for older players who either should know better or ignore what they can pick up from the hard learned experience of others! But from the sounds of it, there's a good chance you've got somewhat more wrong inside that box than just a dud 5th gear!! Driving it at all like it is won't be helping any either!!

Check out this thread on your propsed swap:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=134777&p=1624727#p1624727

Yeah, I know it's a bit old, but the difficulties & prices might help you make up your mind. There are a few more threads on the subject here, that was just the first one that came up when I searched. If you can't get the search here to work well enough to pull them up, go to google or bing etc & add '4wdaction' to your search string so that your search will search the Forum - those search engine bots are crawling around here pretty much full time these days, so they probably know more about what's here than anything/anyone else! ;)

And just to make your decision a bit more fun, maybe you'd be interested in this:

viewtopic.php?t=156994

Enjoy, & Good Luck! :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

03hiluxnewb
I'm new, be nice!

Re: After 5L Gearbox Advice - replace the G52 or fit an R151?

Unread post by 03hiluxnewb » July 26th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for your help.
I think I am leaning towards just putting in a reco or second hand G52
A lot of the threads I have looked at relating to swapping the G52 for the stronger R151 seem to be because the stock motor had been turbo-ed.
As I don't ever intend on 'hot-rodding' the car and being aware of the gear box's weak points I am thinking the G52 will most likely be sufficient.
My next dilemma will be figuring out which G52 I have (Chain or Gear) and if I can replace both box and transfer regardless of type.
Thanks again...

Return to “Drivetrain”