What is the Wheel base on a 1986 HJ75?

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
Neilso74
I'm new, be nice!

What is the Wheel base on a 1986 HJ75?

Unread post by Neilso74 » November 23rd, 2017, 10:24 am

G’day I’m asking for the measurement of the wheel base on 1986 HJ 75 I also would like measurements from centre of diff housing to the shackle both side of spring on front and rear pls if someone could help
I have put a 4 inch lift and my rear shaft will not fit back in, my springs are around the right way they’re not in backwards as far as I’m aware that is why am asking for measurements I am at a loss why it won’t fit so any help guidance measurements would help immensely thanks

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Re: What is the Wheel base on a 1986 HJ75?

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » November 23rd, 2017, 11:48 am

have heard a lot of people having to install a spacer after doing a 4"lift, you can get them at the link below for $99
https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/ ... ft-spacers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: What is the Wheel base on a 1986 HJ75?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 23rd, 2017, 12:16 pm

With solid axle vehicles, the trans is mounted to the body & therefore raises with a suspension lift, while (unlike on most Independant Suspension vehicles) the diff is part of the un-sprung assembly & so doesn't lift any higher with taller suspension. So by lifting the trans & not the diff, the distance between the trans uni & the diff uni will have increased somewhat - there is a mathematical formula around to work out how much it will have increased, but basically, for anything much over 2 or so inches of suspension lift you should make sure that your drive shafts ARE actually going to be long enough to reach even at the fullest extension of the suspension, or you'll end up with drive shafts pulling out in the same manner that resulted in things like the Jeep Slip-yoke eliminators!! :o

You gotta remember that doing a suspension lift PROPERLY is not just a matter of fitting taller springs! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Drivetrain”