How much is Standard Steering wheel freeplay?

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
Lawrence
Been here a while

How much is Standard Steering wheel freeplay?

Unread post by Lawrence » September 1st, 2016, 7:58 am

Hi fellows. The steering wheel of my gq has 1.5 inches of free play. The maximum in the manual is close to that. Its also similar in the GU. What would be considered average for a Patrol? I am thinking of adjusting the box, but my mechanic doesn't think I should as he believes once you adjust the box, it will start leaking. What's the free play in other 4bys like?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: How much is Standard Steering wheel freeplay?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 1st, 2016, 11:46 am

IIRC, that's still within spec & pretty similar to just about every other Patrol I've owned or managed, & I suspect most out there too!! :thumb:

In fact, thinking about it, the only Patrol's that I can actually recall having anything too much different to that 1.5"/40mm or so all had leaky steering boxes, so maybe there is something in what your mechanic said about adjusting them!! :eek:

If it's not broke, don't try to fix it! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Lawrence
Been here a while

Re: How much is Standard Steering wheel freeplay?

Unread post by Lawrence » September 2nd, 2016, 5:00 am

Thanks Peter. That's what I was thinking myself. It does track straight, but needs constant minor adjustments if on broken pavement.

Return to “Drivetrain”