Landcruiser 76 series - rattle when coasting in H4

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
Mc_LC76
I'm new, be nice!

Landcruiser 76 series - rattle when coasting in H4

Unread post by Mc_LC76 » January 5th, 2016, 10:38 am

Hi All,

I went for a beach run yesterday and noticed when in coasting in 4th gear (H4) I would get a rattle/vibration through the car. Tested it in H2 (hubs still locked) and no issues. No apparent issues at lower speeds either.

The noise would only be present when first lifting off, and then go away after a couple of seconds (while still coasting)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

My truck is a 2012, 76 series, 80,000km. 2 inch iron man lift.

Ta

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Landcruiser 76 series - rattle when coasting in H4

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 5th, 2016, 10:47 am

Have you checked the front wheel lug-nuts for tension just to make sure they aren't loose, & then the uni-joints on the front driveshaft for looseness/rattles? Could be a good place to start. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Mc_LC76
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Mc_LC76 » January 5th, 2016, 10:53 am

I jumped under it and there is a slight up and down play in the uni joints on the front shaft. I bought the car second hand so not sure when they were last greased. Should I give it a grease up and see if that solves the problem?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 5th, 2016, 11:04 am

You shouldn't have any movement of the uni-joint cross tee's in the end caps, so it's probably worth trying greasing it & seeing if that lessens the issue; but if the rattling IS the uni-joints & they are rattling so much that you can hear it inside the cab while the car is moving..... then it's definitely time they were replaced!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Drivetrain”