diff or axle? 2Hi wont work but 4Hi/Lo will!?

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
ablin1
I'm new, be nice!

diff or axle? 2Hi wont work but 4Hi/Lo will!?

Unread post by ablin1 » November 20th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum after getting a Manual 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7.

Last night I was out with mates and we were getting a bit stupid. Revved the engine dropped the clutch and suddenly a bit of a crunch and car rolled backwards. It will select all gears and rev when i let the clutch go and accelerate but wont move at all.

When I stick it in 4WD mode it will work like normal with clunky gear changes and can sometimes hear a slight grind from the back.

With my limited knowledge I assume it's the back diff or axle.

I jacked the back end up and here are the results I got when trying different things (car is off and in first gear):
1. spun the tail shaft. rocks back and forth a tiny bit and left wheel moves with it slightly but there's a tiny grinding noise. right wheel doesnt move.
2. spin left wheel and it does so freely. There's a slight grinding noise from diff/centre of axle but neither tail shaft or right wheel moves.
3. Spin right wheel and it does so freely with no grinding noise at all. Nothing else moves when spinning the right wheel.

If you need more info let me know I think i've covered as much as I can.

Thank in advance for your help!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: diff or axle? 2Hi wont work but 4Hi/Lo will!?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 20th, 2015, 3:19 pm

Welcome to the Forum ablin :thumb:

Certainly sounds like you've done the rear diff or one (or possibly both?) of the rear axles?!? :eek:

Going by your description, you are gonna hafta check both axles & the diff to make sure anyway, & from what you tell us there is no clear indication of exactly what IS broken (& probably unlikely to be clear until disassembled either) so I guess it's time to start pulling things apart!! :(

Good Luck ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

ablin1
I'm new, be nice!

Re: diff or axle? 2Hi wont work but 4Hi/Lo will!?

Unread post by ablin1 » November 20th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Thanks for your response. I managed to get my uncle over to have a look as he knows a fair bit.

We opened the fill plug on the diff and he put a screw driver in to stop the left axle spinning... It stopped... We did the same to the right side and the right side still spun freely. From this I gather that somewhere on the right axle is broken allowing the right wheel to spin.

I assume when i spin the left wheel it's allowing the right axle to spin but not the wheel due to the suspected breakage on the right side.

This leads me to beleive the vibration when I spin the left wheel is actually coming from the right axle where the breakage is. The vibration is simply travelling along the axle and means you cant hear where it's coming from. I had assumed it was the left side because I was spinning the left side - silly me :P

Tomorrow I will drain the oil and check carefully for any metal shavings or fragments to eliminate any problems in the diff. If the oil is all fine I will refill it and go and buy a second hand right axle and attempt to replace it. I'd buy the whole assembly to simplify it but I've been quoted between $600 and $1200 so hopefully it's just one axle.

Any tips? Never done it before so i'll be relying on other forum posts, YouTube videos and maybe a call to my uncle.

Return to “Drivetrain”