FZJ80R Gearbox & transfer fill points - where are they?

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
longjake82
I'm new, be nice!

FZJ80R Gearbox & transfer fill points - where are they?

Unread post by longjake82 » September 5th, 2015, 6:53 pm

G'day fellas, first up sorry if this is a stupid question but I've googled it and couldn't find a definitive answer... And I'm not the most mechanically cluey bloke around it seems... :( I recently bought a 96 model FZJ80R Cruiser with a manual gearbox and I want to do a fluid change as I'm not sure when it was done last. I've done some digging and decided on Castrol VMX-M for the gearbox and transfer case. Underneath and looking towards the front of the car I can see what looks like two drain plugs (one under a bash plate and the other on the rear of the transfer case to the left) and a filler further up and to the left of the transfer drain plug. But where is the filler for the gearbox oil? Appreciate any help :)

longjake82
I'm new, be nice!

Re: FZJ80R Gearbox & transfer fill points - where are they?

Unread post by longjake82 » September 6th, 2015, 6:05 pm

OK yeah I had a look today with a bit of light and it's actually pretty straight forward. For anyone else who might be curious the two highest bolts (one's at the top towards the rear and the other on the passenger side right up near the transmission tunnel) are not fill points like I first thought; the drain plugs are at the bottom behind the bash guard and on the drivers side towards the front, the fill points are on the rear and on the passenger side. All 24mm bolts and easy to get to. And the vmx-m makes a world of difference to the cold shift feel, mine was a little sticky for the first 5 minutes but that's gone with the fluid change.

Return to “Drivetrain”