Recommend someone for HZJ75 Troopy Gearbox reco in S/E Melb?

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
turbo troopy
Here and there

Recommend someone for HZJ75 Troopy Gearbox reco in S/E Melb?

Unread post by turbo troopy » December 21st, 2013, 9:10 pm

Hi Guys, can anyone recommend somewhere preferably in South East Melbourne (i'm in Rowville) to get my gearbox/transfer rebuilt or changed over.

Vehicle is 1997 HZJ75 troopy. Sounds like trashed bearings, and the transfer leaks oil from around the idler shaft. Does anyone have a rough idea how much I might be looking at worst case?

Cheers, Dale

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Re: Recommend someone for HZJ75 Troopy Gearbox reco in S/E M

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » December 22nd, 2013, 12:00 am

I rang a mob called south eastern gearbox repairs about a year ago. Google it. In Dandenong or nearby. Was looking at getting the tranny on the 60 series done. Was about 1800 plus major parts and 500 for them to remove and refit. Major parts eg gears or shafts. The guy sounded pretty good. Probably go there next year when I finally get sick of the noise. Not to bad at the moment.
Cheers Jimmy

Bala
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bala » December 22nd, 2013, 6:36 am

Gearbox & Transfer Fully Reconditioned HZJ75
$2300.00

Gearbox & Transfer Fully Reconditioned HZJ75
Click to enlarge
Toyota Landcruiser 75 Series HZJ75 RECONDITIONED GEARBOX & TRANSFER CASE for 1HZ 4.2 diesel 1/90-11/98 sold on the exchange basis. Warranty is AUSTRALIA WIDE 6 month parts & labour warranty.
Toyota Landcruiser HZJ75 Gearbox Transfer Assembly
now $3,150.00 inc GST
Google "hzj75 exchange gearbox for sale" To find where that info came from

That will give you an idea of cost, there is a big difference in the cost of those two, but they likely use a different brand of parts, with probable difference in life expectancy.

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » December 22nd, 2013, 9:51 am

The top one is exchange. The other may be buy outright so is more expensive. Toyota was going to charge me 2800 plus parts.
So 2-3k would be reasonable.

turbo troopy
Here and there

Unread post by turbo troopy » December 23rd, 2013, 7:35 pm

Thanks guys. I got onto Brett @ South Eastern Gearbox and he reckoned $540 labour and $2800 for box repairs worst case, so I guess that's not too bad. I'd definitely rather spend it on fuel and beer for a trip though, but unfortunately it's getting pretty urgent now!

turbo troopy
Here and there

Unread post by turbo troopy » January 11th, 2014, 11:45 am

So it's all done, feels better than a new one! All new seals, bearings, synchros, new mod input gear, 5th gear and cluster gear, new hi/low selector sleeve and came in a couple of hundred under budget.

Just to let anyone down SE Melbourne way know, I was very happy dealing with Brett at South Eastern Gearbox Repairs in Cranbourne. This sounds a bit like ebay feedback, but he provided good communication and fast service and obviously knows his stuff. I'd be happy to recommend him for any of your gearbox troubles. :truck:

Thanks for the pointer Jimmy.

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » May 26th, 2016, 8:17 pm

Hi Turbo

How is your box going after a year or so?
Looking at getting mine done finally and want to see if this guy did decent work on yours and its still going.
Cheers
Jimmy

turbo troopy
Here and there

Unread post by turbo troopy » November 24th, 2016, 8:35 am

Hi Jimmy,
Sorry for such a late reply, I don't get on here much! Haven't driven the troopy a great deal since then, probably only 30-40,000km due to some engine dramas (and me being lazy about fixing it), but all is still going well with the gearbox so far. No noises, chattering or leaks and feels smooth. I reckon it was a pretty good job done.
Cheers

Return to “Drivetrain”