View topic - GQ Patrol Clutch not smooth anymore?

GQ Patrol Clutch not smooth anymore?

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
Here and there

GQ Patrol Clutch not smooth anymore?

Hey

Took my stock standard GQ LWB 4.2 patrol four wheel driving on the weekend i ended up going through one mud/water hole which was too deap and now have realised that the clutch when pressing it in is not as smooth as it use to be, feels kind of crokey and like its grabbing onto something but the clutch engages perfectly fine and changes gears fine, its just the feel of pushing the pedal down that is different.

Clutch and flywheel replaced 4 months ago

Can you get water into the gearbox?

I have read that the top gear petunia boot may be split open and i could of gotten stuff into there, why i think its broken is because sometimes i can smell a oil smell in the car but doesnt smell like motor oil?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Dean

Unread postby agressive1 » November 29th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Admin

Re: GQ Patrol Clutch not smooth anymore?

You might have got a gut full of water &/or mud into the bell housing. It could have rusted things (happens very quickly) or it could have caused the springs &/or the clutch release bearing to fail, plus a variety of other dodgy stuff too. Do you have the wading plug in the middle front of the bottom of that?? If so, remove it & see what comes out?!

Apart from giving that a good flush out with clean fresh water to make sure that you haven't got it all full of mud & hope like buggry that it doesn't do any more damage, it's check the gearbox oil time - any sign of water or whitish goop in the oil, dump it all, change it a couple of times within about 500-1000km and keep your fingers crossed. Other than doing those things, & certainly if it keeps being dodgy or gets worse, it's time to pull the gearbox and clutch off cos you will probly have water damage in there somewhere.

When it all goes back on after fixing it, make sure that the bell housing is sealed properly with a new/good condition clutch activator boot siliconed in place at both ends, the front of the bell housing siliconed everywhere except where the wading plug goes, and a new properly fitted wading plug that you should check is in place & patent BEFORE you go into any water/mud & then remove to drain out anything that did get in AFTER you've been in water/mud.

Many people learn very quickly that water/mud might be fun to play in, but it can be very expensive fun!
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » November 30th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Here and there

Hey

Thanks for the help so much, where abouts is this wading plug or where abouts would i look for it on my GQ 4.2 manual?

How do i flush out the wader plug do i just take the plug of and run a garden hose in it?

Ive heard its a bad idea to seal up the gearbox is this not true, because i rather keep water out rather then keep it in?

Thanks
Dean

Unread postby agressive1 » December 2nd, 2011, 5:42 am

Admin

Follow the bottom of the engine sump back to where there is a gap between the sump and the bell-housing; right on the bottom edge of the bell-housing just to the rear of the metal plate that covers the front of the bell-housing there is a small rectangular hole (or should be) about 3mm x 5mm - and it should have a black plastic looking plug pushed into it, about 15-18mm long with a head just slight larger than the plug petunia that only just sticks out a few mm. That's the wading plug filling the drain hole. If the hole is blocked or the plug isn't there, you should fix that, cos it's important that the bell-housing should be able to let out any fluid, oil or water, that gets in there from any source. It should be the only un-sealed outlet the bell-housing has, the rest of the bell-housing mating faces to both the engine and the gearbox should be properly sealed so nothing can get in or out, & that includes the boot that covers the clutch release fork - it needs to be sealed to the housing AND to the fork, any leaks there mean you end up with a wet or muddy clutch that won't work for long.

Since the bell-housing only has a drain at the bottom, it holds a pocket of air inside that tends to stop water or mud getting in when you drive thru (but not necessarily when you stop with it under the fluid level for more than a few seconds) but leaves it open enough to get rid of any fluid that will stop the clutch functioning properly, IF the rest of the bell-housing is sealed like it should be. The gear box really doesn't EVER want water, mud, or even dust getting in, so it is fully sealed and should only have a 'filtered' vent or breather up the top (the Patrol stock breather goes up into the wheel arch) to allow for the natural expansion of gases etc inside the box as it heats up and cools down. So you need to have a good breather on your gearbox, but if you want to get really teccy & smart about the bell-housing, you'd plumb a small air pump into the top & leave the wading plug out, running the air pump all the time so it gives a slight positive pressure & air flow to the inside of the bell-housing; keeping the inside fluid & condensate free so everything will work better for longer.

As to cleaning it out now, you are flushing out the entire insides of the bell housing, not just the wading plug, and it's always a bit of a dodgy thing - much better to actually take the gearbox assy right off and make sure everything is cleaned properly, re-lubed properly, and re-assembled properly; but since you are on a hiding to nothing right now, if you pull the wading plug, gently (without tearing if possible) prise the clutch fork cover out of its hole, and spray some clean fresh water into the hole, NOT high pressure, the garden hose is more than enough, you MIGHT get away with it. But putting water in there is really something you generally try to avoid, the clutch plate & all the facing surfaces, the springs & fingers in the clutch pressure plate, etc really don't like water, and neither do the lubricants in or on the thrust bearings & main petunia etc; and too much water pressure can very easily force grit or water into the front bearing & thru the front seal on the gearbox - so it's worth a try but it is risky; your choice!

The only other alternatives are to drive it till something fails (& maybe hope it'll get better as you go along, but it could mean a very large repair bill AND a recovery/tow home!); pull the gearbox off & fix it properly (not an easy or cheap option); or maybe try spraying something like WD40 in there (not a good idea, clutch materials & flywheels really don't like that stuff on them, it tends to kill them pdq!)
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » December 2nd, 2011, 1:59 pm

Here and there

Peter you are a bloody legend mate, thank you so much for the help and the little tips.

I got my brother to look at it today (mechanic), what he found out was the clutch fork had some dirt in and around it so he cleaned and re lubed it up as well as he also realised that my starter motor bearings were gone which he replaced as they were giving me a big wurling/winding sound.

The gearbox isnt as loud as what it was its actually un noticeable unless you listen real close. i asked him about the wader plug but he wasnt to sure what or where it was which ill now get him to read over your post.

Thanks so much Peter

Unread postby agressive1 » December 2nd, 2011, 8:11 pm

Return to Drivetrain