Landcruiser 60 series jumping out of 5th gear

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
Old Red
I'm new, be nice!

Landcruiser 60 series jumping out of 5th gear

Unread post by Old Red » October 28th, 2011, 10:19 am

Can anyone give me advice about my 1985, 60 series jumping out of 5th gear? I have been told it is a fairly common problem. All other gears are smooth and easy - but I have to hold the gear stick in pretty hard to stop it from jumping out of 5th. Is this an easy fix, or an expensive, more complex problem?

Thanks, Mal

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Re: Landcruiser 60 series jumping out of 5th gear

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » October 28th, 2011, 10:21 am

Hi Mal,

I have seen this on here before and it was sometimes put down to engine mounts being R. S.

Would not hurt to chech them out.

Happy Trails.

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » October 28th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Old Red wrote:Can anyone give me advice about my 1985, 60 series jumping out of 5th gear? I have been told it is a fairly common problem. All other gears are smooth and easy - but I have to hold the gear stick in pretty hard to stop it from jumping out of 5th. Is this an easy fix, or an expensive, more complex problem?

Thanks, Mal
G'day Mal,

There are a couplle things to check first before assuming the worst.

As David said check the engine mounts, particuarly the passenger side one as that is the one that is under the most stress. The other thing to check is the gear stick boot. If that's been off at any stage it could have been put back the wrong way around and wont allow it to enage into fifth gear all the way. Maybe go for a drive with the boot off and see how it goes.

If those things check out okay it might be a loose detent on the 5th/reverse gear assembly. Any decent mechanic can check this for you without having to pull the gearbox apart.

The other thing it could have is worn dog teeth on the fifth gear itself. What that means is that as the collar that goes over the hub it doesnt have enough teeth to bite on (hence why they are called dog teeth) as it engages fifth gear. There is only one real way of knowing that this has happened and unfortunately it's gearbox out and teared down.

Hope that makes some sort of sense and of some use to you.

Good Luck
Anthony

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » October 28th, 2011, 2:16 pm

@ Anthony,

Those would be the gears which Terrain Tamer has made a longer set of gears for, I saw it on one of the DVDs in looked pretty good the way it gives more / longer teeth to mesh.

Happy Trails.

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » October 28th, 2011, 2:42 pm

Laidley 62 Series wrote:@ Anthony,

Those would be the gears which Terrain Tamer has made a longer set of gears for, I saw it on one of the DVDs in looked pretty good the way it gives more / longer teeth to mesh.

Happy Trails.

David.
Hi David,

I'm not overly sure to be honest, I havent seen them.

Would make sense though for an aftermarket company to come up with something like that. 80 & 100 series also have the same problem with jumping out of fifth after a lot of kms.

Anthony

firetruck
Been here a while

Unread post by firetruck » October 30th, 2011, 7:21 am

Have rebuilt a few of these now and it seems they all have the problem in the 5th gear clutching teeth. The terrain tamer parts are quite good with the longer teeth but genuine also have longer teeth now too. Terrain tamer is much cheaper tho and I always use them now.

flywire
Getting to know the place

Unread post by flywire » December 6th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Assuming the 5th gear is worn then what are the options? What are the parts, labour and estimated cost.

Return to “Drivetrain”