rattling noise when in neutral, clutch out

From your gearbox to your wheels - tech on drivetrain mods inside
Dann_98
Here and there

Re: rattling noise when in neutral, clutch out

Unread post by Dann_98 » January 10th, 2016, 7:37 am

I have the same symptoms in my 2002 Hilux. It us a rattlely, knocking sound that as soon as you engage the cutch it disappears. Apparently it had a new clutch put in before I bought it 5000 ago. Thinking it might Be input shaft bearing. It is worse when you have done long trip and start up in morning and leave in neutral idling. Once it warms up a bit it starts rattleing and there is also a sound like a bearing going bad, scraping noise which also disappears when clutch pressed in. Dad has a 1kz lux with the stronger version of g52 and it makes same noise and has done for past 130,000 when it first started happening he complained to Toyota and they apparently changed input shaft bearing but within 10,000 was back again. Maybe just a Toyota thing

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 10th, 2016, 8:49 am

rusty04 wrote:.......
What you are prob hearing is a rollover noise from the gearbox as teh clutch is engaged it is turning the shaft in the gearbox, fairly common on when the gearbox has a few k's on it

Try changing your gearbox oil before you pull the box out if it improves the nois then i wouldnt stress too much about it :)
Dann, your problem sounds far more likely to be something along the lines Rusty mentioned almost 5 years ago in his post above.... :ooh:

I'd certainly be trying the 'new oil' idea before pulling the box out. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Dann_98
Here and there

Unread post by Dann_98 » January 10th, 2016, 9:09 am

Thanks for the reply peter. I should have explained it better by engaging the clutch I meant pushing the clutch pedal in which actually disengages the clutch. I am going to change gearbox oil next week when I finally get around to doing a major service on it. Might have to pull the head yet, if compression test on Monday no good :mad:.

Cheers Dann

Return to “Drivetrain”