Torsion Bar touching the X-member - any ideas?!

Springs, shocks and all things between your chassis and diffs
Simple6
Here and there

Torsion Bar touching the X-member - any ideas?!

Unread post by Simple6 » January 17th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Hi,

I've got a '94 MJ Triton that has torsion bar IFS, however I think I've got an issue, but haven't been able to find anything online that's similar.

Basically, the drivers side torsion bar rests on the gearbox cross member whereas the passenger side bar has a clearance of around 5mm - meaning it has no contact. There doesn't appear to be any reason for there to be contact with the gearbox cross member anyway as the main bar mounting is a good 500mm back and completely separate.

Here are some pictures to show what I'm talking about -

Passenger side -

Drivers side -

I initially thought worn bushes on that drivers side, but if there were worn bushes then the bar would be pushed upwards due to the weight of the car rather than downwards into the cross member.

Any ideas?
1994 MJ Mitsubishi Triton 4WD
Lifted | Turbo Diesel

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Torsion Bar touching the X-member - any ideas?!

Unread post by mydmax » January 17th, 2017, 10:49 pm

By the look of the dent upwards under the cross member I would suspect that side had been driven/bent upwards and the original clearance is now zero.

Make something to bend it down again. ie, i beam tethered and a jack one end while the I beam drags down the cross member.

A panel shop would do it easily in a few minutes.

Simple6
Here and there

Re: Torsion Bar touching the X-member - any ideas?!

Unread post by Simple6 » January 18th, 2017, 11:05 am

Hmmm I guess I was thinking too much about how the torsion beam could have dropped, but maybe you're right, that cross member has come up into it.

Must have been one hell of an impact...
1994 MJ Mitsubishi Triton 4WD
Lifted | Turbo Diesel

Return to “Suspension”