Hilux lift with VSC what's the go?

Springs, shocks and all things between your chassis and diffs
linkrobbo
Been here a while

Unread post by linkrobbo » March 17th, 2016, 5:41 am

Hi guy,
Sorry if this has been covered but I have been searching my butt off and not found an answer, my Mrs just bought a late 2010 sr5 Hilux with VSC, until we got the ute I had no idea what this was so been reading up on it. Being her ute I want to keep it fairly mild with mods? Not interested in bigger tyres but am wanting to give her a 2 inch lift, now I am aware that in most states a 50mm lift is no worries, but with the vsc is it legal? I know plenty of hiluxs have bigger tyres and lifts over 50mm but as said I want it to be legal for insurance purposes.
So can somewhere please tell us how and if the 50mm lift is legal and how it all works with the Vsc.

Thanks in advance.

linkrobbo
Been here a while

Unread post by linkrobbo » March 17th, 2016, 7:30 am

Hi guys
Sorry if this has been covered but I have been searching my butt off and not found an answer, my Mrs just bought a late 2010 sr5 Hilux with VSC, until we got the ute I had no idea what this was so been reading up on it. Being her ute I want to keep it fairly mild with mods? Not interested in bigger tyres but am wanting to give her a 2 inch lift, now I am aware that in most states a 50mm lift is no worries, but with the vsc is it legal? I know plenty of hiluxs have bigger tyres and lifts over 50mm but as said I want it to be legal for insurance purposes.
So can somewhere please tell us how and if the 50mm lift is legal and how it all works with the Vsc.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Hilux lift with VSC what's the go?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 17th, 2016, 11:56 am

Your best bet for certainty is always going to be to check with your local rego Auth re vehicle modifications - Forums can provide some good info but it comes with no guarantees, & who knows, there may have been local changes enacted recently that the people here haven't necessarily caught up with. :( And as far as your insurance is concerned, if you make sure that your vehicle retains it's roadworthy status & you advise them of your mods, they should be happy - if they aren't, you might also question if you are covered adequately in everything else you do/everywhere you drive, both on & 'off' road, & if not, maybe change your insurer, cos most will now cover a roadworthy vehicle anywhere in Aust, on or off road, just so long as you aren't racing or competing. ;)

That said, I believe you'll be OK with your proposed lift as far as the VSC is concerned - they are made to function within a certain range, & that range hasta include the entire range of suspension travel on the stock vehicle, which generally covers at least 50mm of rise & fall. And most 'basic' suspension lifts on anything that's not a beam axle suspension won't actually increase the total possible range of movement/travel in the suspension, because to do that you'd hafta change the wishbone pivot points or run longer arms etc - & if you aren't cutting &/welding gear, or physically swapping major suspension components like the arms, etc, you won't be doing much more than changing the static ride height of the vehicle.... It's one of the drawbacks of IFS & strut suspension designs that use fixed length arms, but it means your proposed 50mm lift shouldn't be an issue.

However, you also might want to be careful lifting the front much more than about 40mm - you've got a front diff that's fixed to the chassis/sub-frame in the centre of the vehicle with drive sent to the front wheels via axles/driveshafts & 2 CV's on each side, so lifting it more than about 40 mm will very likely exceed the 'safe operating angles' of your front CV's & result in either breaking one or more of them the very first time you send significant drive to front wheels ( especially if they are flexed up as well!) or at least stress the CV's every time you drive them so they fail fairly rapidly!! That's another of the drawbacks of IFS & strut suspension designs - but on the bright side, these suspensions do tend to handle a lot better & ride a lot more comfortably on road, & your wheels will always be closer to perpendicular to the vehicle's driveline & so holding more of the tread contact patch on the ground!! But you aren't going to increase the total travel available without making radical changes to the metal components of the front suspension, sorry!

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

linkrobbo
Been here a while

Re: Hilux lift with VSC what's the go?

Unread post by linkrobbo » March 17th, 2016, 12:46 pm

Cheers Pete, as I said its the Mrs ute so not changing things to drastically. The more research and I few phone calls tells me it's legal for a 50mm lift as it has been tested with the vsc and is all good. Cheers for your help.

Return to “Suspension”