where is the serial number on coil springs?

Springs, shocks and all things between your chassis and diffs
jfoldbar
Avid Poster

where is the serial number on coil springs?

Unread post by jfoldbar » November 15th, 2015, 6:19 am

i wanna shove a 2 inch lift on the 80 but having trouble deciding what to get strength wise.
was talking to the guy at carrols springs and said the springs on the car will have some kind of identifying number on them i can use to determine what strength they were when they were new. i need this information to help me decide what to get but i cant find any numbers on the spring. any ideas where to look?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: where is the serial number on coil springs?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 15th, 2015, 8:13 am

Some coils (or leaf springs for that matter) have a serial number stamped on them; but sadly many these days only have a sticky paper tag wrapped around them somewhere..... & that means that pretty much the first muddy puddle you drive thru every tag becomes un-readable!! :(

You can search for stamped on numbers by looking at spots that should be visible when the spring is fitted & mounted correctly (they don't generally try to hide them or make them hard to find - so they should be readily visible when the coil is fitted if they are stamped on) but if you can't find one & there is no paper tag on any of them, then it's probably gonna be a measure wire dia, count the coils, & measured the coil free length (ie OFF the vehicle) task. Sorry

Then again, there are some places that can measure & check them on the vehicle & give you a pretty good idea of what strength/rating they are RIGHT NOW (as opposed to whatever they might've been when they were new) but those places are generally Industrial Spring manufacturers...

Good luck :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » November 19th, 2015, 5:37 pm

i tried just about every suspension joint i can find they all said theres no way to tell whats on the car now and i have to check the number. ive looked everywhere is there is no number.
is there some king of website calculator to enter various measurments into to determine what ive got. i hope it doesnt just come down to trial and error.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 19th, 2015, 6:23 pm

The only people I know of who have ever been able to check a spring & make an educated guess as to what rating it was have been Industrial Spring Manufacturers.... it certainly WONT be a suspension joint!! :(

I don't believe there is any readily available calculator or easily accessible measurements that will let you do that, all it can suggest is try to find your nearest Industrial Spring maker & ask what they'd charge to measure/test yours - and be warned that if you want anything better than an 'educated guess' they will almost certainly hafta remove the springs to do that, & testing will almost certainly involve some compressing & stretching that may or may not be conducive to retaining much longer life in your existing coils!! :eek:

It might just be cheaper & easier to bite the bullet & buy a set of springs that have ratings/heights etc that you KNOW, & then work from there. Some places may even let you buy a set of coils & if not satisfied that they are right for what you are after, swap them for another (heavier of lighter) set, but you'd want to check that FIRST!

Good Luck! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Suspension”